Re: [USMRA] L-3's Underground Safety Net

  • IMIS - co,
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 20, 2009
      Dear sirs,

      would you please send details of recent accident in SLOVAK coal mines and how rescue teams treat this accident as we want to use this event recuce action as text in our coal mines .

      many thanks
      Ali Pahlavani

      IMISCO

      www.imisco.ir

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 20, 2009

        All I have is what was reported in the news on Aug. 10 & 11.

        --- In MineRescue@yahoogroups.com, "IMIS - co," <imis_co@...> wrote:

        > Dear sirs,
        >
        > would you please send details of recent accident in SLOVAK coal mines and how rescue teams treat this accident as we want to use this event recuce action as text in our coal mines .
        >
        > many thanks
        > Ali Pahlavani
        >
        > IMISCO
        >
        > www.imisco.ir

      • jindrich lat
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 20, 2009
          It is difficult to answer you request before the end of investigation.
          But it is likely that during the extinguishing of fire water was steered in the focus of fire with temperature around 1 0000 C. At this temperature hydrogen originated and subsequently exploded. Prof. Jindrich Lat. email: jindrichlat@...

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 20, 2009
            It is difficult to answer you request before the end of investigation.
            But it is likely that during the extinguishing of fire water was steered in the focus of fire with temperature around 1 0000 C. At this temperature hydrogen originated and subsequently exploded. Prof. Jindrich Lat. email: jindrichlat@...

            > --- In MineRescue@yahoogroups.com, "IMIS - co," <imis_co@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Dear sirs,
            > >
            > > would you please send details of recent accident in SLOVAK coal mines
            > and how rescue teams treat this accident as we want to use this event
            > recuce action as text in our coal mines .
            > >
            > > many thanks
            > > Ali Pahlavani
            > >
            > > IMISCO
            > >
            > > www.imisco.ir

          • MARK CUMMINS
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 20, 2009
              Prof. Jindrich Lat. This is a very good assumption and thank you for your input.
              When we inject foam that carries too much water we see this explosive condition with the steam and hydrogen gas and of course there is the concern of the blast causing amplified coal dust explosions at the same time.  The befefit of the compressed air foam system is the ability to adjust to a dryer foam that absorbs the heat with the thin films of the wet bubbles and captures the dust particles in the surfactant treated water.

              It will be intersting to learn if there was a consideration to use foam instead of straight water application.  This may become a training issue for rescue teams.

              And FYI; we are conducting trials for biological inertization of gob and sealed areas in South Africa and to use the de-oxigenating microbes to PREVENT spontanious combustion in sub-surface and open cast mines.

              Best regards,

              Mark Cummins

              > To: MineRescue@yahoogroups.com
              > From: jindrichlat@...
              > Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 18:42:41 +0200
              > Subject: Re: [USMRA] Re: Slovak Disaster
              >
              > It is difficult to answer you request before the end of investigation.
              > But it is likely that during the extinguishing of fire water was steered in the focus of fire with temperature around 1 0000 C. At this temperature hydrogen originated and subsequently exploded. Prof. Jindrich Lat. email: jindrichlat@...

              > > --- In MineRescue@yahoogroups.com, "IMIS - co," <imis_co@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Dear sirs,
              > > >
              > > > would you please send details of recent accident in SLOVAK coal mines
              > > and how rescue teams treat this accident as we want to use this event
              > > recuce action as text in our coal mines .
              > > >
              > > > many thanks
              > > > Ali Pahlavani
              > > >
              > > > IMISCO
              > > >
              > > > www.imisco.ir

              > <*> Your email settings:
              > Individual Email | Traditional
              >
              > <*> To change settings online go to:
              > (Yahoo! ID required)
              >
              > <*> To change settings via email:
              > mailto:MineRescue-digest@yahoogroups.com
              > mailto:MineRescue-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • BKBelle
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 20, 2009
                Mr. Cummins- which mine in SA are these microbe testing taking place?

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 20, 2009
                  We can not give the names of the mines we are working with until we get their permission. We have filed for patents on the method and they are pending at this time.

                  We are planning on applying this biological inertization method of explosion and sponcom prevention using the environmentally friendly microbes added to the Chemguard Extreme CAFS mine foam here in the USA. We are looking for a test site or coal mine that might be interested in replacing the nitrogen inertization of the sealed areas with the oxygen consuming microbes. We are certain this will be a much more effective and less expensive way to meet the inertization regulations. Our lab tests show the microbes can even neutralize some of the mine water and consume other carbon based pollutants in the abandoned sections.

                  We are using the formula now in some of our emergency responses to sub-surface fires in landfills and deep seated mulch fires.

                  Our plans are to use the South African tests and results to facilitate future tests and demonstrations with NIOSH and MSHA.

                  I hope this is usefull information.

                  Mark