Governor Tours Mobile Mine Rescue Stations

  • USMRA
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2008
      Governor Tours Mobile Mine Rescue Stations
      istockAnalyst.com (press release) - Salem,OR,USA
      October 16, 2008

      Families of coal miners should not have to live in fear each day that their loved ones may not come home from work, West Virginia's governor told an audience Wednesday during his visit to the National Mine Health and Safety Academy in Beaver.

      "It shouldn't be an inherent situation for our miners and their families," Gov. Joe Manchin said. "I want the people of West Virginia and the nation to know what we are doing in terms of miners' health, safety and training, and all the things we have done to make mine safety our top priority."

      Manchin said following the Sago Mine tragedy that occurred in January 2006 it didn't take a rocket scientist to know that things had to change regarding mine safety.

      "We made a promise to those families that their lost loved ones would not die in vain and that we would do everything we could to prevent that kind of tragedy from ever happening again," the governor said.

      "We want the world to know that the safety of our miners is first and foremost thing we do every day."

      Manchin said everyone working in the mining industry has a responsibility when it comes to safety.

      "We must all do everything they can to make mining safer," the governor said.

      Manchin also commented on the more than 4,000 shelters in place in mines around the state.

      "We have made tremendous gains in mining safety," he said. "We have now become the worldwide leaders when it comes to the health and safety of our miners."

      Manchin said the industry didn't challenge the new safety laws, rules and regulations.

      "They worked with us," he said.

      Manchin said everyone cooperated to make the necessary changes, despite the increased costs to the industry.

      "There is no price you can put on a human life," he said.

      The governor also visited some other exhibits at the Training Resources Applied to Mining Conference that was also taking place. The conference is primarily for people who do health and safety instruction and training for the mining industry, according to Janet Bertinuson, superintendent of the academy.

      "The governor had a chance to see two mobile communication centers and four mobile mine rescue stations," said Ron Wooten, director of the state Office of Miners' Health, Safety and Training.

      "It's really nice to see this safety equipment, but hopefully we will never have to use it," Manchin said.

      U. S. Mine Rescue Association
      http://www.usmra.com

      Visit the most comprehensive collection of
      mine safety materials on the web at
      http://www.usmra.com/repository/

      And join our NEW Discussion Forum at
      http://minerescue.freeforums.org/