Sago and the use of self contained self rescures

  • supertrooper2023
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2006
      Hi I just finished my 80 hr class and I was wondering something? I
      read in the news paper that Randal Mcloy shared his SCSR with two
      other miners because theirs wasnt working. But when there were
      colected by MSHA they tested fine. The two men that couldnt get a seal
      had full face beards. Do you think that their beards interfierd with
      the SCSR use cause they couldnt get a seal? I would like to figure it
      out so Thanx for taken the time to read this.
    • Rob McGee
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006
        No. Unless the wearer is Rasputin, facial hair should have no effect
        on the mouthbit.

        As you are new to the mining world, I'd like to stress the fact that
        resistance to normal breathing when wearing an SCSR should be expected.

        We're probably going to continue to dance around this subject, but it
        would appear that those that had problems "overbreathed" the
        apparatus. In doing so, they most likely were not getting enough air
        and therefore believed the device wasn't working. And because of this
        they removed them.

        I don't dispute the fact that the devices tested were found to have
        various amounts of O2 generating capacity remaining. This discovery
        just makes any conversation about this that much worse.

        Hopefully, part of the money for technology established in the MINER
        Act will go to giving the industry a device that ALL miners can safely
        use, instead of the so-called "average" person.

        Rob

        --- In MineRescue@yahoogroups.com, "supertrooper2023"
        <supertrooper2023@...> wrote:

        > Hi I just finished my 80 hr class and I was wondering something? I
        > read in the news paper that Randal Mcloy shared his SCSR with two
        > other miners because theirs wasnt working. But when there were
        > colected by MSHA they tested fine. The two men that couldnt get a
        seal
        > had full face beards. Do you think that their beards interfierd with
        > the SCSR use cause they couldnt get a seal? I would like to figure
        it
        > out so Thanx for taken the time to read this.

      • Becky - Elkins, WV
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006
          Nicely said Rob...!

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006
            --- In MineRescue@yahoogroups.com, "Rob McGee" <usmra@...> wrote:

            > No. Unless the wearer is Rasputin, facial hair should have no
            effect
            > on the mouthbit.
            >
            > As you are new to the mining world, I'd like to stress the fact
            that
            > resistance to normal breathing when wearing an SCSR should be
            expected.

            > We're probably going to continue to dance around this subject, but
            it
            > would appear that those that had problems "overbreathed" the
            > apparatus. In doing so, they most likely were not getting enough
            air
            > and therefore believed the device wasn't working. And because of
            this
            > they removed them.
            >
            > I don't dispute the fact that the devices tested were found to
            have
            > various amounts of O2 generating capacity remaining. This
            discovery
            > just makes any conversation about this that much worse.
            >
            > Hopefully, part of the money for technology established in the
            MINER
            > Act will go to giving the industry a device that ALL miners can
            safely
            > use, instead of the so-called "average" person.
            >
            > Rob
            >
            > --- In MineRescue@yahoogroups.com, "supertrooper2023"
            > <supertrooper2023@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi I just finished my 80 hr class and I was wondering something?
            > > read in the news paper that Randal Mcloy shared his SCSR with
            two
            > > other miners because theirs wasnt working. But when there were
            > > colected by MSHA they tested fine. The two men that couldnt get
            > seal
            > > had full face beards. Do you think that their beards interfierd
            with
            > > the SCSR use cause they couldnt get a seal? I would like to
            figure
            > it
            > > out so Thanx for taken the time to read this.

            Thank you for the coment. I wasnt tryin to upset anyone when I was a
            fireman we had to keep a clean shave so we could make a seal. Thank
            u again and thanx 4 the advice see ya later rob