China mine blast dead total stands at 35
- View SourceChina mine blast dead total stands at 35Saturday, May 1, 2004 Posted: 0522 GMT (1322 HKT)
BEIJING, China (AP) -- An explosion in a coal mine in northern China killed 35 miners, state media and a local official said Saturday.
The blast early Friday ripped through the mine in Linfen, a city in Shanxi province, some 600 kilometers (380 miles) southwest of Beijing, the Xinhua News Agency reported.
An official in Shanxi's coal mine safety, production and supervision bureau said that 35 were dead as of Saturday. He refused to give his name.
"The investigation is ongoing," he said. "Rescue work is still being carried out."
Xinhua said 49 miners were in the shaft at the time, and 13 of them had been rescued. One miner was still missing, it added.
Earlier media reports said most of the miners had been rescued.
Xinhua said information has been hard to obtain because the mine is located in a rural, mountainous area with poor communications.
The mine, called the Liangjiahe Coal Mine, is owned by the government, it added.
China's mines are the world's deadliest. Last year, 6,702 people were killed in coal mine accidents, government statistics show.___________________________________________________________
United States Mine Rescue Association