5682Peabody Mine Rescue Teams Earn Four Championships at National

  • USMRA
    Sep 26 11:07 AM
      Peabody Mine Rescue Teams Earn Four Championships at National
      Earthtimes.org - USA
      September 26, 2007

      ST. LOUIS, Sept. 26  /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Peabody Energy teams earned four of the seven national championship trophies at the U.S. Department of Labor's National Mine Rescue, First Aid, Bench and Preshift Competition in Nashville, Tenn. The bi-annual competition tests the skills of mine rescue and first aid teams in simulated emergencies and enables employees to hone their safety preparedness skills. Nearly 60 teams from 12 states competed, and multiple Peabody teams participated.

      "We are  proud of our leadership in safety readiness, which is core to our commitment to achieving world-class safety results," said Eric Ford, Peabody's Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer. "These honors speak volumes about the caliber of our people and our constant attention to best practices."

      Peabody's Southern Appalachia Operations team won first place overall in the combination mine rescue/first aid competition and first place in the mine rescue category, outperforming far more experienced competitors.

      The company's Federal No. 2 team from Northern Appalachia took first place in the first aid competition, and Electrician Chuck Harvey of the Twentymile Mine in Colorado won the national BG-4 Benchman competition.

      Peabody's state and national award-winners include:

      National Mine Rescue Awards
      Combination Mine Rescue/First AidSouthern Appalachia, 1st Place
      Mine RescueSouthern Appalachia, 1st Place
      First AidFederal No. 2, 1st Place

      Southern Appalachia, 3rd Place
      Benchman BG-4Chuck Harvey, Twentymile Mine, 1st Place

      Mark Beauchamp, Twentymile Mine, 3rd Place
      1st Place State Awards
      West Virginia Combination Mine Rescue/First AidSouthern Appalachia Operations Team
      Illinois Mine RescueWillow Lake Mine Team
      Kentucky BiomarineMark Lloyd, Bluegrass Team
      West Virginia Mine RescueSouthern Appalachia Operations Team
      West Virginia Benchman BG-174AHarry McGinnis, Federal No. 2 Team
      West Virginia First AidFederal No. 2 Team

      Peabody Energy is the world's largest private-sector coal company, with 2006 sales of 248 million tons of coal and $5.3 billion in revenues. Its coal products fuel approximately 10 percent of all U.S. electricity generation and more than 2 percent of worldwide electricity.

      CONTACT
      Derrell Carter
      (314) 342-7667
      United States Mine Rescue Association