Towards defining Consciousness

  • Ajai Singh
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2010

      Alfredo,

      Read your take on consciousness in the article you uploaded at the group website, which is essentially this:

      Consciousness is a process that occurs in a subject who has an experience which has

      reportable informational content.

      [http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cM-CTDopcEfJBze9mxeXHqioEO75Y5J3ghflqR8XD3bho3n_mSxQKt5cHnAHIDD-c5gLhAZdANrnlNDx91BdTw/Pereira%20JCS%20What%20is%20Consciousness.pdf ]
      Would suggest your expound why you feel this view is important [If I have understood it correctly].
      Is this also your definition of consciousness?
      We could then take over from there.

      Ajai
      Dr. Ajai Singh M.D.,
      Editor,
      Mens Sana Monographs,
      Medicine. Mental Health. Man, And their Matrix.

      Correspondence:
      Mens Sana Research Foundation,
      14,Shiv Kripa, Trimurty Road,
      Nahur, Mulund(W), Mumbai-400080, INDIA.

    • Alfredo Pereira
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2010
        Dear Ajai:

        This is the 'referential nucleus' implicit in the use of the term "consciousness" in Cognitive Neuroscience (mostly studying the visual system of mammals). You can consider it as the result of my "field work" (using Dr. Fulford´s concept) about the contemporary usage of the term.
        A definition of consciousness would reuquire more concepts. I do advance a new one in my recent paper with Dr. Furlan on Astrocytes and Human Cognition (I will upload the proofs of the paper that is still not published in print). Briefly, the idea is that consciousness is "the feeling of what happens" (title of Dr. Damásio's book), it requires not only information about events in the world (external or internal to the body of the subject), but also an integration process that generates a feeling about the content of the information.

        Best

        Alfredo

        2010/9/4 Ajai Singh <mensanamonographs@...>

[...]

      • Roulette Wm. Smith, Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9, 2010
        • Alfredo Pereira
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 10, 2010
            Dear Roulette:

            The immune system, besides existing objectively, possibly is also one of the sources of an individual´s subjectivity, since it sends signals to neurons and glial cells.
            In my current proposal the astroglial network generates feelings about the information carried by neurons and modulates their activity, therefore this network would be the locus of subjectivity of an individual.

            Best

            Alfredo

            2010/9/10 Roulette Wm. Smith, Ph.D. <najms@...>

            Dear Alfredo and Ajai,

            I have NOT read your reports, but will do so within a few days. That said, regarding ‘consciousness’ and ‘experience’, where in each of your thoughts is there a role for the ‘subjective’ in your personal and individual notions of ‘consciousness’?

            Ajai’s comment about ‘experience’ is what prompts this question. The underlying importance in my question stems from my earlier comment about using the immune system as a possible molecular model of ‘consciousness’. For the most part, the immune system’s experiences are purely molecular, not subjective (i.e., those molecular experiences/responses are highly consistent within and possibly across species). On the other hand, in humans, ‘experiences’ (associated with brain) evoke ‘beliefs’ at some fundamental and foundational level. Thus, the question become whether consciousness (associated with brain) represents some intermediate prior to the formation of beliefs?  For example, I ‘believe’ that DNA is the repository of long-term memories in living systems. Do my beliefs represent some forms of ‘consciousness’?

            With warm and cordial greetings,

            Roulette