Re: [Mind and Brain] re: Blah, blah, blah...

  • Edgar Owen
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2007
      Barron,

      Do you have any sources or evidence for the cell phone bee die off
      link? I'm not disputing or agreeing, but I would like to know the
      reason. I had thought it was likely some pesticide(s) being used on
      the crops to be pollinated. My pear trees bloom but have set very few
      pears for several years now.

      Edgar

      On Apr 30, 2007, at 8:38 PM, barron.burrow wrote:

      > Two days ago on the BBC World Service a news announcer said that
      > it's predicted that half the population of the planet -- that's
      > more than 3 billion, when more than one billion are supposed to be
      > near-starving -- will own a mobile phone by the end of this year.
      > (And I've also heard this same prediction from another source,
      > maybe BBC Radio 4). Well, I can't see the need to be allegorical.
      > I'm saying that perhaps a threshold has been broken such that the
      > bees' radar can no longer function under the onslaught of high
      > frequency EM radiation from cell phone masts.

      <Snip>
    • barron.burrow
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2007
        --- In MindBrain@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Owen <edgarowen@...> wrote:

        > Barron,
        >
        > Do you have any sources or evidence for the cell phone bee die off
        > link?

        Hi Edgar! -- I assume you're not in Wales, despite the splendid Welsh name! Your pear trees aren't blooming; but here in E. Dulwich, S London, I noticed yesterday half a dozen huge crimson roses have come out in our garden. That should not happen till May/June; but it's been the hottest April since records began in the 17th century.
        Anyhow, re your query, see my message #9213 "Will Crops Fail?"
        which gave a fair amount of evidence, quoting:

        The Independent newspaper (London), 15 April 2007.
        Are mobile phones wiping out our bees?

        Scientists claim radiation from handsets are to blame for mysterious 'colony collapse' of bees

        By Geoffrey Lean and Harriet Shawcross

        It seems like the plot of a particularly far-fetched horror film. But some scientists suggest that our love of the mobile phone could cause massive food shortages, as the world's harvests fail.

        They are putting forward the theory that radiation given off by mobile phones and other hi-tech gadgets is a possible answer to one of the more bizarre mysteries ever to happen in the natural world - the abrupt disappearance of the bees that pollinate crops. Late last week, some bee-keepers claimed that the phenomenon - which started in the US, then spread to continental Europe - was beginning to hit Britain as well.

        The theory is that radiation from mobile phones interferes with bees' navigation systems [cf. the honeybee 'waggle' dance in the psychophysical sixth-dimension], preventing the famously homeloving species from finding their way back to their hives. Improbable as it may seem, there is now evidence to back this up.

        Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) occurs when a hive's inhabitants suddenly disappear, leaving only queens, eggs and a few immature workers, like so many apian Mary Celestes. The vanished bees are never found, but thought to die singly far from home. The parasites, wildlife and other bees that normally raid the honey and pollen left behind when a colony dies, refuse to go anywhere near the abandoned hives.

        The alarm was first sounded last autumn, but has now hit half of all American states. The West Coast is thought to have lost 60 per cent of its commercial bee population, with 70 per cent missing on the East Coast.

        CCD has since spread to Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece. And last week John Chapple, one of London's biggest bee-keepers, announced that 23 of his 40 hives have been abruptly abandoned.

        Other apiarists have recorded losses in Scotland, Wales and north-west England, but the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs insisted: "There is absolutely no evidence of CCD in the UK."

        The implications of the spread are alarming. Most of the world's crops depend on pollination by bees. Albert Einstein once said that if the bees disappeared, "man would have only four years of life left".

        No one knows why it is happening. Theories involving mites, pesticides, global warming and GM crops have been proposed, but all have drawbacks.

        German research has long shown that bees' behaviour changes near power lines.

        Now a limited study at Landau University has found that bees refuse to return to their hives when mobile phones are placed nearby. Dr Jochen Kuhn, who carried it out, said this could provide a "hint" to a possible cause.

        Dr George Carlo, who headed a massive study by the US government and mobile phone industry of hazards from mobiles in the Nineties, said: "I am convinced the possibility is real."

        The case against handsets

        Evidence of dangers to people from mobile phones is increasing. But proof is still lacking, largely because many of the biggest perils, such as cancer, take decades to show up.

        Most research on cancer has so far proved inconclusive. But an official Finnish study found that people who used the phones for more than 10 years were 40 per cent more likely to get a brain tumour on the same side as they held the handset. [BEB: from memory, there are more handsets per capita in Finland than anywhere in the world.]

        Equally alarming, blue-chip Swedish research revealed that radiation from mobile phones killed off brain cells, suggesting that today's teenagers could go senile in the prime of their lives. [BEB: I thought they already were.]

        Studies in India and the US have raised the possibility that men who use mobile phones heavily have reduced sperm counts. And, more prosaically, doctors have identified the condition of "text thumb", a form of RSI from constant texting.

        Professor Sir William Stewart, who has headed two official inquiries, warned that children under eight should not use mobiles and made a series of safety recommendations, largely ignored by ministers.

        BEB.
      • John Farion
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2007
          Here's some more science of the bee colony collapse.
          John Farion

          press-release@...
          Subject:
          Mobile Phones and Vanishing Bees

          The intended recipient for this message is
          jfarioncwc@...
          The Institute of Science in Society
          Science Society Sustainability
          http://www.i-sis.org.uk
          This article can be found on the I-SIS website at
          http://www.i-sis.org.uk/MobilePhonesVanishingBees.php
          If you would like to be removed from our mailing list
          unsubscribe at
          http://www.i-sis.org.uk/unsubscribe
          ISIS Press Release 25/04/07
          Mobile Phones and Vanishing Bees
          ***************************
          The recent boom in third generation mobile phones may
          be the
          main culprit for colony collapse disorder in
          honeybees. Dr.
          Mae-Wan Ho
          An electronic version of this report, or any other
          ISIS
          report, with full references, can be sent to you via
          e-mail
          for a donation of £3.50. Please e-mail the title of
          the
          report to: report@...
          Colony collapse a new phenomenon
          Bees worldwide have been involved in a disappearing
          act
          called 'colony collapse disorder' over the past two
          years
          [1] (Mystery of Disappearing Honeybees, this series),
          with
          little sign of the disease or infestations that have
          resulted in massive loss of colonies in the past. The
          bees
          simply leave the hives and fail to return. Beekeepers
          and
          scientists alike are stymied as to the cause of this
          strange
          phenomenon.
          One likely culprit is a new class of systemic
          pesticides,
          which are not only sprayed on crops, but also used
          universally to dress seeds in conventional
          agriculture, and
          can confuse and disorientate bees at very low
          concentrations
          [2] (Requiem for the Honeybee, this series). Another
          candidate is radiation from mobile phone base stations
          that
          has become nearly ubiquitous in Europe and North
          America
          where the bees are vanishing; this possibility is
          considerably strengthened by preliminary findings that
          bees
          fail to return to the hives if cordless phone base
          stations
          are placed in them.
          Read the rest of this article here
          http://www.i-sis.org.uk/MobilePhonesVanishingBees.php
          This is the second article in the current bee series
          part 1
          Requiem for the Honeybee
          http://www.i-sis.org.uk/requiemForTheHoneybee.php
          other titles to be released this week
          Mystery of the disappearing bees
          This article can be found on the I-SIS website at
          http://www.i-sis.org.uk/MobilePhonesVanishingBees.php
          If you like this original article from the Institute
          of
          Science in Society, and would like to continue
          receiving
          articles of this calibre, please consider making a
          donation
          or purchase on our website
          http://www.i-sis.org.uk/ISISappeal.php
          ISIS is an independent, not-for-profit
          organisation dedicated to providing critical public
          information on cutting edge science, and to promoting
          social
          accountability and ecological sustainability in
          science.
          If you would like to be removed from our mailing list
          unsubscribe at
          http://www.i-sis.org.uk/unsubscribe
          CONTACT DETAILS
          The Institute of Science in Society,
          PO Box 51885, London NW2 9DH
          telephone: [44 20 8452 2729] [44 20 7272 5636]
          For email details, see
          http://www.i-sis.org.uk/contact.php
          MATERIAL ON THIS SITE MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED IN ANY
          FORM
          WITHOUT EXPLICIT PERMISSION. FOR PERMISSION, PLEASE
          CONTACT ISIS at http://www.i-sis.org.uk/contact2.php

          --- "barron.burrow" <barron.burrow@...>

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Edgar Owen
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2007
            Barron,

            Thanks, interesting. A cell tower was sited in my area recently and I presented some science indicating the radiation does in fact interfere with subtle cellular electrical mechanisms.

            Edgar