The zero point hypotheses

  • Christopher Holmes
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2005
      Dear Varun, I do not know the answers to some of the questions you are posing, and I would have many questions about the experimental procedures, testing and the like, and of aspects of the interpretation.  I am not sure if such observations really speak for or against the type of perspective i am trying to represent--in what I describe as 'the heart doctrine' and the 'zero point hypothesis.'   In your example, I would not say that the  "consciousness is confused" but rather, that the mind is confused.
      Today, I posted several new chapters from my wrtings on consciousness.  The first is one on the Issues of Consciousness, at www.zeropoint.ca/microcosm_4-1issues.htm  A second chapter I was inspired to write after reading a Scientific American article, from their August 2003 edition, where the cover asks "Are you a hologram."  Mystical teachings provide the original holographic models of consciousness; wherein the inner cosmos of consciousness within a human being, reflects the same laws and structures as embodied within the Macrocosm.  As above, so below. Gurdjieff describes a human being as 'a particle of all that exists.'   Enlightened sages and such report experiences of awakened and expanded consciousness, of varied types, all of which suggests that there is some deep inner physics and metaphysics to the study of consciousness.
      The enlightened teachers regard the Heart as the centre of the human microcosm, and not the brain in the head.   Although the Scientific American article does not really address the issues of consciousness, it does explore the holographic paradigm in physics and science, and it considers the nature of the deep substrates of being--down at the level of Planckian units.
      Anyway, in my chapter, I take the physics and information theory explained, and then apply these to depicting zero point dynamics, and the origins of human consciousness.  A mystical perspective provides for a provocative alternative view of holography, and how this might apply to a human being, as a quantum system.  The link is www.zeropoint.ca/microcosm_4-fscientificAm.htm
      The idea of the zero point origins of human consciousness is a concept drawn from the mystical literaute of varied tradtions, and the newest ideas and theories in physics illustrate the basic concepts.  I do hope you have a look at the "Are you a Hologram," chapter.
      I have also posted other writings on holographic ideas, including a brief critique of pribram at www.zeropoint.ca/microcosm_4-2pribram.htm, and a critique of the Scientific American article by Roth's on The Quest to Find Consciousness (2004) at www.zeropoint.ca/Heart_Doctrineexcerpts.htm, chapter two.
      I appreciate any comments you have, or anyone who would like to comment on the materials posted.   Christopher

      Varun Aggarwal <varun.aggarwal@...> wrote:
      Hello Dr. Holmes
      Thanks for your elaborate views on consciousness being of divine nature and not a neurobiological phenomena. I have read some of your analysis on this forum and shall be reading more (also stuff on your site) as time permits.
      I will like to bring your attention to some experiments conducted by Collin Blakemore and his students. They conducted their experiments on a group of people who had recently lost one of their hands. They blindfolded the people and touched one of their cheeks. Most of the blindfolded people reportedly felt that the other person is touching a finger of their arm, which actually didnt exist anymore! This was explained on the mapping of the 'touch sense' of the face part on the neurons which previously got stimulated on the touch on the arm.
      I feel that this grossly shows how easily consciousness can be confused. A hand which no more exists is felt by us as existing and we even feel that it is touched. It would be hitting far, but when we can confuse ourselves in believing that a hand exists when it doesnt, why cant be confuse ourselves that we exist, when we are really a machine and nothing more. Dr. Homes, please consider that I am not talking about stray cases, almost all the blindfolded people reacted similarily... which indicates that the consciousness in general can be easily confused and is nothing more than a brain activity? When the advaitists or the budhdhists felt that they were one with the universe, they were probably making similar mistakes, they lost spacial understanding and felt that their material body didnt exist, were they just confusing their consciousness OR had they reached a higher truth?
      Will love to hear your views on this.