A personal Consciousness

  • Robert Karl Stonjek
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2003
      A personal Consciousness

      Dear Group,

      we seem to have a personal consciousness, not something that one would predict just by making observations of humans, or would we?

      We can not extend the personal consciousness that we experience to other animals in any consistent way. Any such theories are brittle and easily fractured. To convince others that my cat has a personal consciousness requires them to have preconceived thoughts in that regard already.

      So what is personal consciousness for? If we can identify its purpose, then surely we can also identify what animals *must* have one in order to function as they do.

      = = = = = = = = = = = = =

      I have proposed, here and there, that a personal consciousness is necessary under some conditions. Wherever these conditions exist, a personal consciousness is also required. A computer based consciousness would need to have this kind of consciousness if it were to function in the same way.

      The extent of human personal consciousness is a separate question. I am considering here just the basic outline of a personal consciousness ie "me", mine, "I", "my experience" etc.

      Rather than give the game away I am just raising the issue to see what other lofty thoughts might be circulating. All contributions most welcome.

      Kind Regards,
      Robert Karl Stonjek.

    • Yehouda Harpaz
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
        > we seem to have a personal consciousness, not something that one
        > would predict just by making observations of humans, or would we?

        The term "personal consciousness" doesn't have contents that are
        commonly agreed to be useful in a discussion without giving it an
        explicit definition. Otherwise, every reader interprets it in a
        different way.