We need researchers for this proposal!

  • Andrius Kulikauskas
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2003
      (Apologies for writing in English!)

      Hi! Would you like to join us in a research competition "Strengthening
      Knowledge Policy for Small States" ? I need to know who I might
      include, I will be writing up a proposal next week. I have in mind Bala
      Pillai (Tamil), Lucas Gonzalez Santa Cruz (Canary Islands), Mihkel Pilv
      (Estonia), Vladimir Fiodossenko (Belarus). Who else might be
      interested? (You don't have to be from a small country.) Please let me
      know soon, and I appreciate your thoughts (Bipin, Umesh, Prem - thank
      you very much!). Thank you! Andrius, ms@...

      I came up with a thesis for the research competition
      http://www.idrc.ca/roks "Strengthening Knowledge Policy for Small
      States: How can small states participate more effectively in local,
      regional, and global knowledge partnerships?"

      Here are my ideas:
      - A healthy, creative outlook depends on our participating in more than
      one culture (for example, through travel, multiple interests, social
      networks, languages, disciplines).
      - A culture without such interactions with other cultures will
      ultimately suffocate, stagnate, disappear.
      - The advantage of large states is that they support large cultures that
      have the opportunity to interact with many other cultures, absorb their
      many influences, and become advanced in organizational complexity,
      distributed in leadership, wealthy in relationships.
      - The disadvantage of large states is that they snuff out small
      cultures, and ultimately become self-absorbed, and tend to degenerate
      into a homogeneous culture, and lose their creativity.
      - Therefore, large cultures ultimately need to encourage the small
      cultures that they thrive on.
      - The limiting case is the individual as a culture.
      - Individuals need to be able to create in the language that they know
      best, where they can be most creative.
      - Small cultures need to have their own space, typically, their own
      linguistic space.
      - We therefore propose to show the importance of spaces for individuals
      to develop their own conceptual language, and for cultures to have their
      own linguistic spaces, as part of their Knowledge System.
      - We will do this through various groups at Minciu Sodas in different
      languages, but especially Lithuanian, Tamil, Byelarussian, Spanish and
      Chinese.
      - We will consider the role of English as a language for sharing
      results, but also the importance of using other such global languages,
      such as Spanish, Russian and Chinese.
      - We will show how private languages, and the variety of languages,
      contribute to the total creativity in ways that a single language could not.

      I will try to get Bala Pillai involved (he is Tamil). I've downloaded
      the concept note application kit, it's not too complicated but we need
      to know who all the researchers might be.

      This is all in the formative stage. I appreciate your input.

      Also, they can fund almost all of the project, but they do prefer we
      find some other funding, too. Would it be possible to involve the
      Chaordic Commons? I'd like to set this up chaordically - see my
      thoughts I've blogged on what I call the "Fractal hand":
      http://www.ecademy.com/node.php?id=5372

      Andrius

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Minciu Sodas
      http://www.ms.lt
      ms@...
      +370 (5) 2645950
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      > I'm going to write a proposal, due March 14th, for up to $160,000
      > Canadian dollars for this research competition. The theme is:
      >
      > How can small states participate more effectively in local,
      regional,
      > and global knowledge partnerships?
      >
      > I appreciate your thoughts in general, and ideas on how we might
      work
      > together. Andrius Kulikauskas, ms@...
      >
      > -----------------------
      >
      > www.idrc.ca/roks (presumed copyright)
      >
      > The Research on Knowledge Systems (RoKS)
      >
      > exploratory initiative of the International Development Research
      Centre
> [...]
      > year's theme: "Strengthening Knowledge Policy for Small States:
      How can
      > small states participate more effectively in local, regional, and
      > global
      > knowledge partnerships?", requests concept notes in the following
      > areas(not mutually exclusive):
      >
      > i. What specifc strategies or approaches have been shown to be
      > successful in the improvement of gaps for knowledge and learning
      gaps
      > insmall states?
      >
      > ii. How can regional collaboration, for example, be designed to
      > leverage
      > cooperation in knowledge networks among small states?
      >
      > iii. As the policy gaps and learning divides increase the
      disparities
      > among the small and large states, what mechanisms and policies can
      > alleviate this knowledge chasm?
      >
      > iv. What reforms in knowledge institutions are required to ensure
      that
      > they are seen to be contributing to the economic and social
      development
      > of small states?
      >
      > v. How can small states participate in emerging issues affecting the
      > health and life sciences revolution, the digital explosion, the
      > technological trade arena, and/or the reconstruction of their
      > scientific
      > and knowledge infrastructure following conflict and social unrest?
      >
      > vi. What are research solutions to these challenges and what
      specific
      > policy prescriptions can be considered for small states.
      >
      > The deadline for concept note submission is March 14, 2003
      (5:00pm EST).
      > Submissions received after that date, or which are incomplete,
      will not
      > be eligible for consideration. Concept notes that are qualified
      through
      > a peer review process will be asked to submit full proposals for
      > June 6,
      > 2003. The competition will award up to seven grants, with a maximum
      > value of CAD$80,000 each. For joint proposals where researchers are
      > located in two or more countries a maximum of CAD$160,000 will be
      > awarded. Fewer than seven grants may be awarded, subject to the
      quality
      > of proposals received.
      >
      > Grants will be awarded by July 6th, 2003.
      >
      > Information regarding the status of your application, other than our
      > confirmation of its receipt, will not be available. For more
      > information
      > and to download a complete concept note application kit, please
      click
      > on: www.idrc.ca/roks.
      >
      > IDRC is committed to equity and encourages applications from
      qualified
      > women, men, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with
      > disabilities. We thank all applicants for their interest and will
      ONLY