Re: Help needed gathering worldwide engineering enrollment trends

  • Andrius Kulikauskas
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2008
      John Cohn,

      Thank you for writing us at Learn How to Learn with your request for
      engineering enrollment trends in Africa, Asia and Latin America, and also
      for examples where engineering professionals or academics have reached out
      to kids and communities to improve quality of life and/or promote
      engineering careers. I ask for help at several of our Minciu Sodas
      working groups.

      I enjoyed meeting you at the University of Vermont and your Jolts and
      Volts presentation there (from a millionth volt to a million volts). I
      love your blog blog.myspace.com/johncohn I'm glad you write and I invite
      our response and I look forward to your letters. I note that you are an
      IBM Research Fellow.

      In Lithuania, I found this May, 2006 news article where Klaipeda
      University's Sea Technology Department reports that informatic engineering
      is most popular. "Akrisida" (a human resources company) leader Aras
      Mileiska says that chemical engineers are highest in demand. There is
      (was) a shortage of civil engineers because of a construction boom but
      such booms don't ever last too long. (There was a glut of civil engineers
      after Lithuania gained freedom from the Soviet Union.) Electrical
      engineering is the most steadily in demand.

      My personal understanding is that after the Soviet Union broke up there
      was a great lack of interest in the sciences as people looked for ways to
      make money and then interest in education picked up greatly and that
      interest has drifted more and more into the sciences. The number of
      students who graduated university was 9,500 in 1990, 17,100 in 2000 and
      30,100 in 2006 out of a total population of about 3,500,000. And now
      there are also "colleges" (like private "community colleges") and an
      additional 12,500 graduated from them in 2006. In vocational schools the
      number of graduates has gone down from 23,200 in 1990 to 13,500 in 2006.
      The percentage of 20-29 year olds with degrees in science, biology,
      technology or applied sciences went up from 1.63% to 1.95%
      http://www.stat.gov.lt/lt/pages/view/?id=1208 here is the English website
      of the Statistics department http://www.stat.gov.lt/en/

      Just some more statistics from Lithuania. The percentage of households
      with both Internet and computer went up from 3% in 2001 to 48% in 2008.
      40% of females and 30% of males (ages 25-34) have a college degree (this
      is above the EU average, the UK and Sweden). The average wage in
      Lithuania is now about $1,000 per month.

      The World Economics Forum has a Global Competitiveness Report
      http://www.gcr.weforum.org
      http://www.weforum.org/en/initiatives/gcp/Global Competitiveness Report
      with a section on "Higher education and training"

      Andrius Kulikauskas, Minciu Sodas, http://www.ms.lt, ms@..., +1 312 618
      3345, writing from Chicago.

      Friends,

      I need help compiling international data on worldwide engineering
      enrollment trends and societal views on engineering careers I'll be using
      this info .for a talk I'm giving at a large electronics industry
      conference (ISSCC) . Surprisingly, I've been having trouble finding much
      of that kind of data on the internet. .Most of the data I am finding has a
      very western focus.. eg. focusing on the decline of engineering
      enrollments in the US and Europe. I'd like to get a more balanced
      perspective from the rest of the world. I'd really appreciate any links or
      contacts of people worldwide with that type of information.

      I'm also very interested in learning about any international activities
      where engineering professionals or academics have done outreach work with
      kids and communities to help improve quality of life and/or promote
      engineering careers. In addition to helping me, I believe data we compile
      here would be very helpful others who are trying to help promote
      engineering careers worldwide. Thanks very much in advance for any help
      you can give me !

      -jc

      John Cohn PhD
      IBM Fellow - Systems and Technology Group
      tel: 802-769-7676 (t/l 446-), cell: 802-578-0985
      asst:Jleigh Howard 802-769-6035 (jleigh@...)
      blog: blog.myspace.com/johncohn

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Minciu Sodas