How can we help Salah who faces trial in Bangladesh?

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2006
      Salah, Thank you for this very important information, which I share more
      broadly. I urge my colleagues to respond vigorously to the danger to your
      life. I have been thinking about you and what we might do. Thank you for
      being with us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fightingpeacefully/ as an
      Islamic independent thinker from Bangladesh who is taking big risks so that
      we might take small ones. Andrius Kulikauskas, http://www.ms.lt
      ---------------------------------------

      First of all, I would like to express my sincerest gratitude to everyone, who
      kindly accorded valued support and cooperation to me. May I draw your kind
      attention to the following points:

      1. Trial Date – On 13th November 2006, Monday, at 10:30 am, I will have
      been in the court of Metropolitan Session Judge, Mohammed Momin Ullah. The
      judge has fixed this date for hearing the witnesses. According to the legal
      experts, it depends on the judge, how many days or weeks he would take to
      finish the trial. If he has personal interest (in fact he does), he can
      finish the trial in less than one month. As you all know, the judge has his
      pre-set mind to convict me. So, we definitely can not expect justice from
      him. It may be mentioned here again that, Mohammed Momin Ullah granted bail
      to Mohammed Shamim, a member of suicide squad of Jamaatul Mujahedin
      Bangladesh (JMB), a notorious and banned Islamist organization.

      2. Police Protection – As you know that, protection from my office was
      withdrawn a week before I was attacked and assaulted on 5th of October 2006.
      Then the police was also withdrawn from my residence. Later, because of
      efforts from my brother Dr. Richard Benkin and people from the media and
      other esteemed organizations, police force were re-deployed. Meanwhile on
      31st October, 2006, numbers of police forces were increased in my house. I
      accordingly reported this matter to brother Benkin. But, to my surprise, from
      Friday morning, police protection has been suddenly withdrawn once again from
      my house. I contacted the Uttara Police Station to know about this matter,
      and was told that, since there had been change in the police administration,
      there was instructions to withdraw forces from my house.

      This is for your kind information please.

      Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury

      Salah Uddin Shoaib Choudhury
      Journalist, Columnist, Author & Peace Activist
      PENUSA FTW Award 2005, AJC Moral Courage Award 2006
      Editor & Publisher, Weekly Blitz
      Chief Editor, Weekly Jamjamat
      Web: www.weeklyblitz.net Web: www.interfaithstrength.com

      Greetings from Dhaka!

      Ms. Anita Mathur kindly wrote an article on me, which has been published in
      the following links:

      Canada Free Press:

      Link: http://www.canadafreepress.com/2006/mathur110506.htm

      America's News Source: