Samwel and Andrius chat about a social networking project

  • Andrius Kulikauskas
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 15, 2005
      Samwel Kongere and I chatted yesterday about a project that he will do
      for our lab for 100 USD. He will collect profile information about 20
      people in his area who are making a helpful impact. He will ask them
      each to let us know of 5 other people who are making a helpful impact.
      Where possible, he will also ask them to state their "key concept" if
      they have one. And also how we might best support their efforts.

      First we'll design a questionnaire. We appreciate your ideas. Then
      we'll figure out a data format. Meanwhile, he'll collect information.
      This will be no more than a six week project. Afterwards, we can
      consider future projects. Samwel already has information about people
      which he has sent me. It is a Microsoft Access database so I will need
      to export the files. That is a great start.

      We will use the data profiles to create a social networking system
      through our Open Leader site http://www.openleader.net My idea is that
      we can create pages for people even if they don't participate through
      the Internet. It's extremely helpful for us, far away, to have a map of
      the social network on the ground. This gives us confidence how and
      where we might best help. I've been interested in such a map for a long
      time and so this will be a great opportunity to see how it might work
      for us. I believe that in responding to the AIDS challenge and other
      challenges, it is most effective to support the people in the middle.
      Not the "poorest of the poor", but rather, the people who are building
      bridges between rich and poor, advantaged and disadvantaged - the
      proactive doctors, teachers, entrepreneurs, pastors, nuns and other leaders.

      George Christian Jeyaraj visited me at our Atzalynas club the other day.
      He agreed to help Samwel where he can. In particular, he'll try to
      apply our data format to the Tamil world. He'll make sure that we can
      handle Unicode for all the world languages. Also, I met with Sarunas
      Andrikis before he left for Italy. He'll be back in a few weeks and
      we'll consider further how we might set up a social networking system in
      Lithuania. He's very interested to work with our lab to build such a
      system that would encourage people to meet locally to get things done.

      I include below our chat. Samwel is from Kenya - for more about him,
      see http://www.openleader.net?leader=SamuelKongere

      Andrius

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Minciu Sodas
      http://www.ms.lt
      ms@...
      +370 (5) 264 5950
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      Samwel: i hope you are ok :: taday

      Andrius: Yes, Hi Sam :: Thank you for your letter. :: I have an
      idea for a project that you could do for me if you are interested.

      Samwel: good :: i can aswell give you the contact of the person
      contact in ICIPE

      Andrius: Great

      Samwel: he is one of those who helped me :: get the contact and use
      them

      Andrius: yes :: Do you have some time to chat now?

      Samwel: he is Ibrahim Kiche Malaria ccf project leader :: email
      ikiche@... phone 254 0720 331 915 mobile :: yes let me
      close things down and chat with you

      Andrius: OK :: I mean we can chat using Yahoo messenger :: I am
      thinking, What could you do useful for me for 100 USD?

      Samwel: good :: depending on your work

      Andrius: I think most useful would be if you could map out the
      people :: in your region :: who you think are having the most helpful
      impact :: and collect their profiles :: and show their social network ::
      who is working with who. :: If you could collect 20 profiles,

      Samwel: ok :: go on

      Andrius: then we could make a map of the social network. :: We
      would want basic information: :: Name, contact information, :: what they
      do to help others :: what is the best way to help them :: and, for each
      person, 5 people who they work with to help others. :: If you could
      collect the information :: I would create a data format for you to put
      that in. :: Then we could automatically create pages about them and
      their network :: in our Open Leader network.

      Samwel: go on

      Andrius: And then people could find them on the web :: and would
      know how to help them. :: So this would be a research experiment :: in
      social networking :: and social maps. :: The idea is that people do not
      have to be active on the Internet

      Samwel: iam great ful

      Andrius: but we can put information about them on the Internet ::
      and that can be very useful. :: Is this a good project?

      Samwel: definately

      Andrius: OK :: And can you do it in six weeks?

      Samwel: whe do want to start this

      Andrius: You can start thinking about the people now :: I would
      want 20 at least. :: Is that too much? Or will you be able to do that?
      :: During this coming week I will send you the money. :: And we will
      think about the data format. :: What information we want to collect.

      Samwel: aiready Ia having asimple data which you can view

      Andrius: That's great, we can use that.

      Samwel: give the details and i'ii see how to go on

      Andrius: And you'll do what you can for six weeks. :: to get
      information about 20 people. :: And after that you'll have no obligation
      regarding this. :: Is that fine?

      Samwel: get me you personal emal to send you the data now

      Andrius: ms@...

      Samwel: what obligation

      Andrius: I want to pay you the money as soon as possible. :: And I
      don't want you to have any obligations :: if there is a problem. :: So
      this is a six week project maximum.

      Samwel: ok :: pay me throug what cretaria

      Andrius: I will pay you through Western Union. That is best, yes?
      :: Do you know what fee they charge?

      Samwel: i dont know you can know from their where you are sending
      the money from

      Andrius: yes :: and what currency will they give you the money in?
      :: the Kenya currency, yes? :: And please send me your personal
      information that I will need :: I suppose your name and the ID of the
      document that you will use to pick up the monehy

      Samwel: SAMWEL OKECH KONGERE

      Andrius: and what location :: You can email me at ms@...

      Samwel: ok

      Andrius: Also, I have two questions for you.

      Samwel: I am sending as we chat

      Andrius: Yes

      Samwel: ok :: go on

      Andrius: This is helpful for me: In your life, what is most
      important to you? What is the concept that is deepest in your life?
      What value is most important? :: So I could understand what you care
      about. :: How you understand your life. :: Maybe you know, maybe you
      don't. :: Maybe you feel you know, but it is hard to say.

      Samwel: first I mus have to say I care for the community as well as
      my family and my idea of development depends on uplifting people whwere
      ever I can

      Andrius: So "uplifting people", is that most important to you?

      Samwel: moving steps forward in internal development :: if I can

      Andrius: "helping people grow" :: ? :: How would you like to state it?

      Samwel: from my family or becoming a proffessional in community
      service to benfit them and me at the same time :: train and be stable ::
      comfotable and understanding

      Andrius: We have a list of key concepts here: ::
      http://www.openleader.com/index.php/MinciuSodas/KeyConcept :: I would
      include you, if I knew what to write for your key concept. :: That would
      help us remember what you care about.

      Samwel: But we can put it any way you feel it ok

      Andrius: Yes, but what is most accurate? :: "Uplifting people"?

      Samwel: no :: this will mean i Have what I have :: community
      empowerment activist

      Andrius: what do YOU care about? :: that is what I want to know ::
      in ALL your life, what is most important to you? :: so that I could
      understand you :: and support you as a person

      Samwel: success

      Andrius: Success is most important to you? :: What do you mean by
      success?

      Samwel: my life and my family then extend and succeed as acommunity

      Andrius: Good. And what is success? How do you think of it?

      Samwel: when I strat something I hope to succeed

      Andrius: But why start anything?

      Samwel: i have already sent you an attachment of the things you
      require and let know what type of data you need :: to progress

      Andrius: Good. And how do you imagine progress? :: I ask because
      this helps me know what you care about. :: So that I can care as well.

      Samwel: when I progess well in my plans I don't have to worry but
      have pleasure so pleasure is important to ones life

      Andrius: How does pleasure relate to you and your family and your
      community? :: That is interesting.

      Samwel: ............and this can make me have a successful project

      Andrius: And I think imoprtant.

      Samwel: yaap

      Andrius: I will ask further: What about pleasure is important to you?

      Samwel: check your box for that mail :: yes

      Andrius: It has not come yet. :: What about pleasure is important
      to you, your family, your community? This would help us I think.

      Samwel: it is coming :: highly

      Andrius: yes I got your letter and the database thank you

      Samwel: sombody cannot succeed when the entire surruonsing is crying

      Andrius: yes :: pleasure, progress, success

      Samwel: so it important

      Andrius: I wonder how you relate them?

      Samwel: motivation

      Andrius: so perhaps that is your key concept? Motivation?

      Samwel: good finally

      Andrius: yes :: it is hard! :: So I will study your data. :: And
      from those 20 people

      Samwel: good

      Andrius: it would be good to ask them for their key concepts, if
      they have them. :: You see how hard this is. :: So I don't know if you
      can do it.

      Samwel: you can use that information

      Andrius: And also, some people won't have key concepts. :: But do
      you think you could ask them?

      Samwel: yes

      Andrius: If you can, that would be very meaningful for our network,
      and our project, I think.

      Samwel: we have to develop a questinaire

      Andrius: Yes. :: So I will send out our chat. :: And we can develop
      the questionnaire. :: And I will look at your data.

      Samwel: to who

      Andrius: And I will think of a data format. :: To our groups. ::
      Global Villages. :: And others that might care. :: Is that fine?

      Samwel: but some don't understand what situation I am in and don't
      bother to ask

      Andrius: Well, we're practicing "working openly" :: and supporting
      each other. :: And you're a great example. :: And then we can see your
      work :: and understand you :: and I hope we can do more.

      Samwel: then go a head and help me

      Andrius: Yes. :: Thank you for helping us. :: This is a step
      forward for our network, I think. :: And there's a lot that you can do
      for us all. :: And it will be interesting who you connect us to.

      Samwel: when do you think you be ready with the project

      Andrius: I will try to send out the money sometime during the next
      seven days. :: And I will let you know. :: And likewise I will share our
      chat :: and we can start writing and chatting. :: Anything else today?

      Samwel: good and this will make me start finding people to put in
      the project

      Andrius: Yes. :: OK. I will chat with you soon! :: Peace.

      Samwel: define your data system :: send me your other information
      :: bye for now :: =;

      Andrius: Peace
    • Master Pain
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 15, 2005
        It would be nice to do such a thing in BiH, wouldn't it ?
      • Andrius Kulikauskas
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 16, 2005
          I'm glad that we got a reply from our group for fostering thougthful
          discussion in Bosnian-Croatian-Serbian:

          Master Pain wrote:
          > It would be nice to do such a thing in BiH, wouldn't it ?

          Yes! I hope that we might bring to light the people in Bosnia and
          Hercegovina who are making an impact (including many of us). Such a map
          of the social network is very valuable especially for those outside who
          would like to help but lack the confidence to know who is who.

          I invite us to write about ourselves. And also about others who we
          think are making a difference in BiH. What is especially helpful? This
          will help us get to know each other and will lead to such a map.

          Please write!

          Andrius

          Andrius Kulikauskas
          Minciu Sodas