$30,000 fellowship for Public Domain projects

  • Andrius Kulikauskas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2005
      Shannon, Thank you very much for letting us know about the Eyebeam Open
      Lab fellowships ($30,000 per year in New York City) for Public Domain
      projects. Deadline August 15th.
      The Open Lab is supporting work in: 1. Open Networks, 2. Open
      Information, 3. Open Content, 4. Open Source, 5. Open Fabrication. So
      this might also be of interest to the New Work community.

      I will be applying for this. My project will be to discover, negotiate,
      implement and promote social protocols for "civilization networks" to
      work seemlessly together, much as we have been learning to do.

      Another note: Kerry Santo is looking for full time (or part-time) work
      in Edinburgh or online. Question: Who are the people that we know who
      we would most like to work for? Some answers: Mel Young (of Consumer
      Magazine), Leon Benjamin, Steve Bosserman, Peter Kaminski, Jerry
      Michalski, Helmut Leitner. Any others?

      Andrius Kulikauskas
      Minciu Sodas
      +370 (5) 264 5950
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      This might be a good opportunity for you or someone else at the lab. Not
      a lot of money but resources and support for developing open projects in
      the public domain.

      Joi Ito's conversation with the living web.
      Eyebeam R&D Call for Fellows
      In Art

      I'm an advisor to Eyebeam R&D and they have recently posted a Call for

      Call For Fellows

      Eyebeam R&D seeks inaugural fellows to work on creative technology
      projects in the Eyebeam Open Lab. The fellowship is a unique opportunity
      to participate in a new kind of research environment and contribute to
      the public domain.

      The Open Lab is dedicated to public domain R&D. We are seeking
      artists, hackers, designers and engineers to come to Eyebeam for a year
      to develop pioneering work. The ideal fellow has experience creating
      innovative creative technology projects, a love of collaborative
      development, and a desire to distribute his or her work as widely as

      Participation in the R&D Fellows program includes:

      * One year fellowship
      * 4 days/week commitment
      * $30,000 annual stipend + health benefits

      Public Domain

      Work created within the Open Lab will be widely distributed and
      freely available under open licenses. All code will be released under
      GPL, media will be released under Creative Commons, and hardware
      projects will be released with Do-It-Yourself instruction kits...

      There's more on their site. Take a look if you're interested. I have a
      lot of respect for what the Eyebeam team have done and look forward to
      seeing some cool stuff from this program.