LGBT Film Fest presents: Fabulous: The Story of Queer Cinema Thursday, August 10

  • Carl Bogner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2006
      Before there was Lance Bass, there was "Fabulous! The Story of Queer Cinema"

      The Milwaukee LGBT Film/Video Festival wants to coax everyone into
      the mood for the Festival's 2006 edition with a special presentation
      of "Fabulous! The Story of Queer Cinema," the exhilarating blast of
      a new documentary about how we got from Kenneth Anger's "Fireworks"
      to that little ditty called "Brokeback Mountain."

      "Fabulous! The Story of Queer Cinema" will screen - only once - on
      Thursday, August 10 at 7pm at the fab UWM Union Theatre, on the
      second floor of the UWM Student Union, 2200 E Kenwood Blvd. Admission
      is a supportive $8.

      Taking up where "The Celluloid Closet" left off, "Fabulous" traces
      the development of a distinctly queer cinema, from experimental
      shorts from immediately after WWII through the Euro cinema of the
      1960s to the political documentaries of the '70s & '80s to the New
      Queer Cinema to where we are today. (Whew!)

      It is quite a story rendered here all the richer with LOTS of clips
      and commentary from the likes of Todd Haynes, B Ruby Rich, Jenni
      Olson, Patrick Ian-Polk, Marga Gomez and more. The film is as
      entertaining as it is edifying: it is certain to expand your sense of
      queer cinema history and have you scouring the shelves of Outwords
      for new-to-you titles.

      And attention all you hermit-y TIVO queens who are certain you can
      dredge this film from out of the ether: we will also be presenting
      two landmark LGBT short films, in their projected 16mm entire:
      Kenneth Anger's 1947 "Fireworks" and Barbara Hammer's 1974
      "Dyketactics." And we will also be sharing some previews to this
      year's festival films. Can't catch all that at home! Come join the
      party!

      ALSO, at the screening you can enter our contest to name the Queerest
      Film Ever. Contestants will be asked to name and defend their choice,
      in 25 words or less. Entries will be judges by our panel of film
      snobs, and the winners will receive a pass good for the entire 2006
      Festival. Feel free to email your choices in now to
      lgbtfilm@... but you must be present to win!

      Prizes will be awarded at the pina colada party after the screening
      at Art Bar, 722 E Burleigh.

      So come see "Fabulous," learn more about the cinema called "queer,"
      and lend your fabulous support to this year's Milwaukee LGBT
      Film/Video Festival.

      And don't forget: the next Milwaukee LGBT Film/Video Festival parades
      through town September 7 - 17. More on that to come....

      So for now, bye, bye, bye,
      Carl Bogner
      Milwaukee LGBT Film/Video Festival
      www.arts.uwm.edu/lgbtfilm