clarification of "Political"

  • saganguy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2001
      In my earlier response to County Supervisor McGuigan I mentioned that this
      Eboard was not "supposed" to be much about politics...but of course, I spoke
      inaccurately. The whole Blue Shirt discussion and the Supervisor's
      thoughtful comments about artist reaction, general public comments, as well
      as the interpretations of media involvement, were in some way political.

      My comment about the Eboard not being political arrived in my head due to
      knowledge (if I had received correct information) that a former MARN
      participator who had been Elisting political rallies for a presidential
      candidate had been asked to cease from doing that on the MARN postings.
      Perhaps that person had simply overdone that in terms of quantity.

      A protest rally against Mr. Bush, based upon his administrations "unfriendly"
      attitude towards the arts, seems to certainly be important and useful for us
      to see among our postings. It is political, indeed, and for a cause we
      believe is important to the MARN membership...despite some members perhaps
      feeling differently.

      Maybe some clarification by the MARN directing Board about political postings
      is necessary. Is there a line between what is appropriate to list concerning
      political events and statements, and what is not appropriate? Has an
      official policy already been decided? And, how would it be controlled since
      we all can shoot a message online? Could a member simply be booted off and
      blocked from future access for some offense? Other questions and other
      contexts certainly come to mind...

      Thank you to the MARN core group of individuals who might respond to this.
      Gary
    • George Sheppard
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001

        gary-

        we did discuss this issue at the executive committee meeting last night and will have a policy mapped out a.s.a.p.

        previously, a member that supported a specific presidential candidate was eliciting support on the site and publisizing a rally for that candidate

        things will of course come along on the site that are of a political nature, they just must be directly related to the arts, artists, and the arts community

        as far as a member having to be blocked or booted, we simply would hope not to have to encounter that scenario

        if something unfortunate should arise we would handle it at that time

        just remember, as was basically said today again and again at the symposium at the p.a.c., be nice  "Unity, Balance, Trust, Respect"

        we all should simply respect each other and not make a point to be offensive

        thanks

        -george-