CALL FOR PROPOSALS - Destination 2: Space

  • MARNcurator
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003
      CALL FOR PROPOSALS:

      Milwaukee Artist Resource Network (MARN) Presents:
      Destination 2: Space
      at the Gas Light Building, at the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design
      (MIAD)
      Summer Gallery Night and Day, July 25 and 26, 2003
      Guest Curators: Shana McCaw and Marc Tasman

      Deadline for submissions: June 14, 2002, 5PM

      You are cordially invited to submit a proposal for an artwork to be
      included in “Destination 2: Space." The building is divided into
      approx. 40 spaces (dimensions vary; average approx. 25’x 25’). The
      spaces are made of 8’ high drywall walls though the ceiling is much
      higher than that. They are also equipped with track lights which could
      be aimed into the center of the space instead of the walls. Each
      artist (or collaborative group) will have one entire space to
      themselves.

      This show will present artworks that will challenge our concept of
      space. In other words, the artwork will ask viewers to perceive space
      in a new way, possibly through the introduction of objects or perhaps
      because of light, sound, smell or maybe viewers movement through the
      space will be manipulated somehow.

      Possibilities include: performance, sound or light installations,
      viewer participation, etc. Please do not feel limited by these
      suggestions. We welcome any submissions that expand upon the
      traditional uses of space in a gallery setting. Your only requirement
      is to ACTIVATE THE SPACE in an interesting way.

      If you need to view the space before you can create a proposal, phone
      Mark Lawson, MIAD Gallery Director at 414/847-3350 to make a weekday
      appointment.

      Please submit a simple proposal for consideration that includes:
      1. A brief description of the work
      2. Drawings or photographs if they are helpful
      3. List of additional requirements needed (electricity, darkness,
      limited viewers in the space, etc.)
      4. Contact information:
      Name
      Address
      Home, work and cell phone numbers
      E-mail address (important!)

      Submit proposals to:
      Shana McCaw/Marc Tasman
      Attn: _Destination 2: Space_
      1731 N. Warren Ave.
      Milwaukee, WI 53202

      OR to

      curator@...

      If you have questions, email us at the above email
      address or call: Shana- 414/765-9859 OR Marc- 414/962-9612

      Thank you for considering this exhibition opportunity. The New York
      Times recently called Milwaukee home of the hottest collaborative art
      Scene in the country. With your greatly appreciated help we will make
      this another excellent exhibition that lives up to Milwaukee's national
      reputation!

      Shana McCaw
      Marc Tasman
    • MARNcurator