Thoughts on the Creative Summit from someone that was there

  • Melissa Dorn Richards
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2009
      Hi Everyone,

      I wanted to share a few thoughts about the Creative Summit with you. I
      was there as a visual artist, e.d. of a small organization (MARN) and
      as a director at an institution of higher ed (MIAD).

      I am feeling very positive about the experience and the
      effort/movement that was put into motion at the Creative Summit. We
      talked a little bit about the problems facing the region and the
      country for that matter, but really spent the majority of time working
      on what the future will be if we combine forces as the creative
      sector. And I mean work, not just talking or doing skits (yes, we did
      skits and I even sang), we now have task forces, communication means
      through social media, deadlines and more.

      What I really want to stress here, is this was the start of a process,
      not the end. You will be hearing more and I encourage you to
      participate.

      Jonathan West was also there, check out his thoughts at
      http://www.artsyschmartsy.com/. Christine Harris will be reporting out
      on the Summit, as a follow up to the listening session we did in
      January, on March 3 at 6 pm at WPCA. And of course there is the
      "official" blog where you can see what happened during the two days
      http://www.mkekre8kamp.com/.

      Thanks much!!
      Melissa

      Melissa Dorn Richards
      Interim Executive Director
      Milwaukee Artist Resource Network (MARN)