RE: [MARN] You're invited to follow the GMC's Creative Community Summit Blog

  • Peter Goldberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
      It is all well and good that the GMC et al. is trying to involve a broader public in this exercise. But I have read the explanation, looked at the list of participants, read some of the exercise outcomes and have a sickening feeling of deja vu. I have been through such exercises myself many times and they have generally been frustratingly unproductive or non-creative in the end. Shall I start with the cloyingly cutesy, kitschy name: MKEKre8Kamp 2009: it already belies the the mindset of the facilitators, who in my experience ultimately boil everything down to preconceived notions and eliminate all nuance and rough edges in which true creativity lies. I read one of the exercise reports. It was a swarm of buzzwords, which lend themselves to such non-creative outcomes. The participants themselves, while recognizably giving, often well meaning "leaders" are just that, the leaders of all the institutions only. The institutional leaders of this community have institutional outlooks and will be biased toward institutional and frankly establishment outcomes. Where are all the bright founders, struggling creators and participants in all the little and cutting edge arts groups and the single artists? Where are the critics, gadflies and outliers?To be sure we can all sound in, but I can't help but fear that a die is already cast by the controllers who came up with that oh so clever name and will sort out all the chaff, or what their minds conceive as chaff, and come up with solutions echoing their notions of import and what has worked elsewhere, just as they have already noted. The very notion of a "creative community" writ large represents a philosophical buy-in to the singular focus of Richard Florida, who has many and vocal critics, from the get-go.This is not to say that this should not be reviewed and we should not participate. Rather it is to alert folks that we should not allow the outcome, which could be wonderful or as likely very unsatisfactory, to be represented or be taken as the last word on the way resources are marshalled in this community.Peter GoldbergTo: MilwaukeeArtistResourceNetwork@yahoogroups.comFrom: CAGMadmin@...: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 18:34:39 +0000Subject: [MARN] You're invited to follow the GMC's Creative Community Summit Blog

      I'm re-posting what the GMC sent out.
      Denise Lubotsky - Cultural Alliance of Greater Milwaukee

      MKEKre8Kamp 2009: Building a Thriving Creative Community in the
      Milwaukee Region.

      Many cities have recognized the value of having a creative economy.
      Toronto, San Antonio and Philadelphia all have implemented plans to
      shore up their cultural assets and have strong community-led initiatives
      spearheading the effort. The Milwaukee region needs the same: an action
      plan to build our creative economy into a sustainable, distinguished and
      defining regional asset. We don't have to blaze a new trail. Best
      practices are out there. We can learn from successes and mistakes of
      others. But we do have to start now.

      That is the reason for this MKEKre8Kamp 2009, a creative community
      summit that will culminate in a vision and road map for building a
      thriving creative community; one that retains and attracts talent and
      business while improving our region's quality of life. MKEKre8Kamp-an
      intensive strategic action initiative-will involve not just
      policymakers, creative individuals, foundation leaders, leaders of arts
      and culture organizations, but leaders of the creative economy. We will
      involve representatives of industry-our technology-driven manufacturing
      leaders, as well as industries like advertising, product and industrial
      design, TV and radio, and architecture.

      One of our tasks will be to study other regions that have vibrant and
      successful cultural sectors and creative economies to understand their
      public/private funding models and their infrastructure. Another
      task-during the creative summit and beyond-will be to convene
      conversations that explore potential for strategic alliances and shared
      resources in order to increase efficiency within the sector.

      We intend to immediately implement an action agenda that will move this
      forward quickly and ensure ownership of building a dynamic, creative
      community. As we go through this process we would like to involve you!
      Though sessions like this are typically closed to everyone except direct
      participants, we're opening it to our community beginning on Tuesday,
      February 4. We will do so through this blog and (when we can) through
      Twitter @MKEKre8Kamp.
      Go to: <http://www.mkekre8kamp.com/> http://www.mkekre8kamp.com/
      <http://twitter.com/MKEKre8Kamp> <http://twitter.com/MKEKre8Kamp> and
      read the info. There is a link at the bottom of every article if
      you'd like to add a comment.

      We encourage your participation ! Feel free to share this information
      with others.

    • Peter Goldberg