Kevin Thorton's Sex, Dreams, & Self Control ! @ MGAC, Friday, Saturday, March 27, 28 at 8pm

  • Milwaukee Gay Arts Center
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2009
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
      Bold and Racy Theater tears into town
      Milwaukee Gay Arts Center – Friday, March 27th and Saturday, March 28th, 2009. Tickets $10.00, 8pm
      Sex, Dreams, & Self Control ! is a fusion of music, spoken word, and standup comedy--- with an original alternative folk rock score in which Kevin Thornton croons like a young John Hiatt or a post- Smiths Morrissey. According to the Nashville Scene, this new work is “courageous” and “darkly funny”.
      Fans of Thornton’s underground new wave band Waves on Waves, which has been featured on the MTV Network Logo, might be surprised to learn of his extensive theatre background. Thornton holds a degree in theatre performance and has performed on the theatrical stage stateside and abroad.
      With so much free time on the road, Thornton began sketching a semi autobiographical tale. “On tour, I had been reading a lot of David Sedaris and listening to old Sandra Bernhard concerts, so the brilliance of those two definitely influenced me.”
      “I began to experiment with my short stories at open mics. Every time, the audience would just light up. I knew I was onto something,” said Thornton. “Eventually I had about an hour of material that was audience approved. I knew what was going to take it to the next level was original music, and that’s when it really clicked.”
      This “groundbreaking” (Out and About Magazine) rites of passage tale presents itself bold and racy, and speaks loudly about sexuality and religion. “I made a concerted effort to make this story universal. And I approached the subject with respect. I never tell the audience how to feel.” adds Thornton.
      Sex, Dreams, and Self Control! might challenge some audiences, but ultimately Thornton wants “to make them laugh, make them think, and move them.”
      STRONG SEXUAL CONTENT AND ADULT LANGUAGE. No one under 18 will be admitted.
      For tickets and more info www.sexdreamsandselfcontrol.com
      CONTACT:
      Carol Jane (615) 830-1415 (615)207-2022
      Carol.b@...