RE: [MARN] Re: Creative Summit Steering Committee

  • Peter Goldberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2009
      I actually raised that very concern based on my experiences with the so-called movers and shakers deep-sixing the public arts plan and bad-mouthing the MARN artists incubator -- ironically Christine Harris was excited about the idea of such incubators elsewhere, apparently unaware of the fact that the moneyed class here had effectively torpedoed the idea. They are picking the artists they want to attend, which doesn't mean that these are not knowledgeable and somewhat representative, but it certainly doesn't make it democratic or representative of the full breadth of the community, genre or age-wise. I had the impression that Christine Harris heard my and others' skepticism and tried to encourage us not to view the Alliance as irrevocably bound to the GMC, and I do think that her enthusiasm for what was said there was genuine. By the same token they are all enamored of the Richard Florida cant, "creativity" as a buzzword. I think the important thing is not to let MARN be co-opted by the Alliance or the GMC, even as we try to get our words in edgewise.To: MilwaukeeArtistResourceNetwork@yahoogroups.comFrom: mike@...: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:48:49 -0600Subject: [MARN] Re: Creative Summit Steering Committee

      are there going to be any artists added to the steering committee or
      will the destinies of Milwaukee's artists remain solely in the hands
      of wealthy elites who are too busy at their day jobs to be in touch
      with what's really going on in Milwaukee? or too conservative to see
      beyond traditional forms of expression?

      maybe i'm WAY off, but i'm certainly curious if other members of MARN
      are concerned about this?

      everyone i've talked to seems disappointed with these hollow meet and
      greets that never go anywhere. don't we all just end up being told
      what we need or want by the funders in the end anyway?

      and for the record... i do not consider those in architecture and
      advertising to be artists. especially in this town.

      always cautiously optimistic,
      mike

      On Jan 28, 2009, at 12:19 PM, Denise wrote:
      c. The Steering Committee for the Summit is Chris Abele (Argosy),
      Cristy Garcia-Thomas (UPAF), Lisa Binder (Associated Bank), Chuck Harvey
      (Johnson Controls) and Steve Glynn (Spreenkler). The design team further
      includes Jill Morin (Kahler Slater) and Christine Harris (Cultural
      Alliance).