Follow-Up to Tuesday’s Listening Session at WPCA

  • Denise
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2009
      Hello. Thanks SO much for your attendance and dialogue at our session
      last night. I really enjoyed listening to you and being able to exchange
      ideas and viewpoints. I look forward to many more such conversations.

      Here is some follow-up information.

      1. The Creative Community Summit is being held at Lake Lawn,
      Delavan, on February 4 and 5.

      a. The purpose is to commence a planning process for growing our
      creative community. We are looking to build a distinguished, defining
      and sustainable creative economy.

      b. The outcome is anticipated to be an overall vision of our
      creative community with the start of a roadmap on how to get there.

      c. The Steering Committee for the Summit is Chris Abele (Argosy),
      Cristy Garcia-Thomas (UPAF), Lisa Binder (Associated Bank), Chuck Harvey
      (Johnson Controls) and Steve Glynn (Spreenkler). The design team further
      includes Jill Morin (Kahler Slater) and Christine Harris (Cultural
      Alliance).

      d. The process will continue after the Summit so there will be
      plenty of time for input and development from throughout the community
      moving forward.

      e. This strategic actioning session process was developed by and is
      facilitated by Marble Leadership out of Chicago, with Leslie Marquard as
      lead facilitator http://www.marbleleadership.com/
      <http://www.marbleleadership.com/> . The GMC has used this process
      successfully in the past.

      f. The number of participants in this particular process is
      limited to around 45. The criteria for participation is representation
      of all stakeholders, geographic coverage, decision makers in their
      fields, influencers beyond their job role, and availability for the full
      two days of the process.

      g. There will be communication back to the community directly
      following the Summit. There may even be communication during the process
      but not sure about that yet.

      2. I wanted to provide you direct access to the Americans for the
      Arts information on their input to the President's Economic Recovery
      Package. Please see more information, including how you can help, at
      http://www.artsusa.org/information_services/recovery/default.asp
      <http://www.artsusa.org/information_services/recovery/default.asp> .
      Please scroll down this webpage to the section "Economic Recovery
      and the Arts". You will see the list of policy recommendations as
      well as a sample press release and letter to your member of Congress.
      Together our voices can make a difference.

      3. The interview on NPR this morning, Wednesday, with the Alliance
      talking about the arts in the economic recovery package.
      http://www.wuwm.com/programs/news/view_news.php?articleid=4135
      <http://www.wuwm.com/programs/news/view_news.php?articleid=4135>

      4. Finally, Arts Days in Wisconsin, March 3-4. Arts Wisconsin (the
      statewide advocacy organization) hosts a legislative `arts day'
      each year at the State Capitol. This is an opportunity to show up and
      spread the word about the value of the arts. Please see
      http://artswisconsin.org/events/artsday2009.cfm
      <http://artswisconsin.org/events/artsday2009.cfm> for more information.

      Please help us keep the conversation flowing. We look forward to having
      our new website up and running soon.

      Thanks again - Christine

      Christine Harris

      President and Executive Director

      Cultural Alliance of Greater Milwaukee

      648 N. Plankinton Ave Suite 425

      Milwaukee, WI 53203

      414-347-0131

      charris@...
      <mailto:director@...>

    • Mike Brenner
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 28, 2009
        are there going to be any artists added to the steering committee or
        will the destinies of Milwaukee's artists remain solely in the hands
        of wealthy elites who are too busy at their day jobs to be in touch
        with what's really going on in Milwaukee? or too conservative to see
        beyond traditional forms of expression?

        maybe i'm WAY off, but i'm certainly curious if other members of MARN
        are concerned about this?

        everyone i've talked to seems disappointed with these hollow meet and
        greets that never go anywhere. don't we all just end up being told
        what we need or want by the funders in the end anyway?

        and for the record... i do not consider those in architecture and
        advertising to be artists. especially in this town.

        always cautiously optimistic,
        mike

        On Jan 28, 2009, at 12:19 PM, Denise wrote:
        c. The Steering Committee for the Summit is Chris Abele (Argosy),
        Cristy Garcia-Thomas (UPAF), Lisa Binder (Associated Bank), Chuck Harvey
        (Johnson Controls) and Steve Glynn (Spreenkler). The design team further
        includes Jill Morin (Kahler Slater) and Christine Harris (Cultural
        Alliance).
      • Peter Goldberg