RE: [MARN] Re: Pegi Taylor with two added thoughts

  • Peter Goldberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2009
      I will perhaps address last night's meeting more fully later, but I do want to note that the meeting chaired by Christine Harris really enthused the younger artists there. A suggestion was made that such meetings be held more often to dscuss issues and ideas. (I had been suggesting such an idea for years to the Milwaukee Arts Board but we never could get it together to do such things, much less anything else of late from what I can tell). Kudos to the Cultural Alliance for finally getting something like this started in the community.

      I want to bring an interesting article, "Revolution of the Spirit" by Benjamin S. Barber from this weeks "The Nation" to everyone's attention. Barber questions always trying to justify the arts in terms of economics. He points out that rather than defining the arts in these times of economic and eventually ecological straits in the same terms one promotes consumerism, we should rather see the arts as the necessary alternative or compensation for reduced consumerism. He goes on to promote the idea of a cabinet level secretary of the arts and culture among other fixes like the arts in the schools.

      Peter Goldberg

      To: milwaukeeartistresourcenetwork@yahoogroups.comFrom: pegitay@...: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 11:35:51 -0600Subject: [MARN] Re: Pegi Taylor with two added thoughts

      Dear MARN,I'll be eager to see the notes from the meeting last night at WPCA.Two added thoughts:1) Today on WUWM, Christine Harris from the Cultural Alliance explained whyit is worthwhile that the Obama economic recovery plan includes money forthe NEA. She did a good job.2) On Monday, I tried to explain why the creative economy argument should bechanged to be about art building community. I didn't explain it well. Today,I'm thinking that maybe the it's about building a creative community throughexposure and participation in the arts for all ages. I know this is just aslight change in wording, but I thought I'd mention this.Now I'll just wait,Pegi