Searching for information on public sculpture that may have been disposed of

  • Mary Louise Schumacher
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2009
      Hi everyone,

      I am wondering if anyone might be able to help me track down information
      on a sculpture/reflecting pool that was installed at the Zablocki
      library in the `60s as part of the percent for art program. It is called
      "Man Truly Unchained and Unshackled" or "Bill of Rights" and was created
      by George Adams Dietrich.

      I've had a tip that the piece may have been disposed of improperly, and
      I am trying to check that out.

      Dietrich (b. 1905) is an important artist, a student and teacher of the
      Layton School (there is a passage about him in Diane Buck's book). I am
      told that the artwork is owned by the library and funded through the One
      Percent program at a cost of $25,000 in 1963. It was apparently surveyed
      in the early 1990s and found to be in need of "urgent treatment."

      Do any of you know the work? Travel frequently to that library? Perhaps
      remember when it was taken down?

      Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated,
      Mary Louise Schumacher

      art and architecture critic

      Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

      P.O. Box 661