blogging or not blogging on MARN

  • saganguy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2008
      Having watched MARN evolve over these years I have found how easy it is to
      delete postings that have subject lines that are not of interest.
      Undoubtedly, I guess, that is the way for almost everyone else. I certainly delete 90%
      or more of what is offered...and expect that my process is close to what
      others experience.

      How many others appreciate seeing someone with zeal, passion and ideas post
      an opinion that can inspire some thought and debate, rather than merely having
      to delete another of the many notices that mean little, if anything, to
      them?

      Is MARN merely an online classified listing? I personally hope not.

      I have faith that whoever manages MARN postings can make decisions about
      what is appropriate.

      Gary John Gresl

    • Adolph/Suzanne Rosenblatt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2009
        Thank you, Gary. I agree with everything you wrote. I think the
        discussions are stimulating, or at least interesting, and certainly
        it's easy to delete extraneous messages! I enjoy knowing what other
        artists in the area are doing, thinking, dealing with, enjoy being
        part of an arts community. When we created MARN, probably one of the
        stickiest issues was trying to figure out what to call the new
        organization. There were a lot of suggestions that included the idea
        of co-op. I think we ended up with an excellent choice, the one with
        the words RESOURCE and NETWORK. Suzanne

        --
        Online: Artwork by seven family members at http://www.rosenblattgallery.com
        Ongoing: Paintings by Eli Rosenblatt: at ARTASIA (in back section),
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
          I have a vague recollection that MARN intended to set up a separate opinion forum at one time. Was that ever done? And with regard to overhauls, whatever happened to the computer fix whereby artists could post their work? Was that finished; if so how does one access it?The defined statement of purpose on the website seems to include the possibility of both pooling knowledge as well as fostering advocacy, the latter which seems to presume idea exchange:MARN (Milwaukee Artist Resource Network) is an open forum for Milwaukee artists. We seek to create a community that pools knowledge and fosters advocacy for individual artists of all media.There certainly seems a place for both as Gary and Suzanne say -- but then I recently answered some of the pieces so I may be biased. Does David include Pegi Taylor's "Indulge me" questions in the verboten blog category. Given that they evoke as much, if not more response than most resource questions about where to get veeblefetzers and the like, there does seem to be a constituency for both types of posts. If the blogging is inappropriate in the current conception of this site, perhaps it ought to be expanded to allow for it somewhere.One more note: do the complainers ever themselves actually participate by attending open board meetings, even more participating on the board, volunteering, or at least making contributions to the organization? I well recall that one of Mike Brennan's complaints was the aggravation of so many who had ideas and opinions as to what MARN should do, but so few who ever stepped forward to help when anything was attempted. To: MilwaukeeArtistResourceNetwork@yahoogroups.comFrom: adsz@...: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 21:36:21 -0600Subject: [MARN] blogging or not blogging on MARN