passing of a Wisconsin Regional Art Author

  • saganguy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2008
      Many of you knew Peter Merrill or knew of him through his authorship and
      research. I thought you should be made aware of his passing on July 19. His
      widow informed us just this week.
      Peter’s black book on Milwaukee regional artists of German heritage which
      was published by the Max Kada Institute (MKI) – Madison WI, is probably the
      best researched and most complete publication on regional art ever produced,
      albeit narrowly focused on his subject.
      His book, German-American Artists in Early Milwaukee has become one of the
      few “go to sources” for many people. Without this book, together with the
      books by Porter Butts and Bill Gerdts, one would have a hard time getting a good
      overview of early WI regional art. He also authored other books and
      articles.
      Collaborators MWA, MKI and the Milwaukee County Historical Society will
      briefly honor Peter’s three decades of work at our fall international symposium
      on panorama / painters. The ground breaking research that is being done in
      Milwaukee / Madison on this subject could not be put into proper contexts
      without the three decades of research Peter did.
      Peter’s extensive research records and files reside in the MWA Art Archives
      and Research Center.
      Please feel free to share this news with anyone.
      Regards,
      Tom Lidtke, Executive Director, Museum of Wisconsin Art
      300 South 6th Avenue
      West Bend, Wisconsin 53095
      1.262.334.9638
      Visit us on the web at www.wisconsinart.org