Hello

  • Mary
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 29, 2007
      Hello, my name is Mary. I'm a sahm of 4 and my youngest (3) has mild
      Cerebral Palsy. I'm currently looking for a group for support in the
      miilitary who have experience in moving and the EFMP. I hope to hear
      from you all soon!
      Mary
    • izzybruce
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 29, 2007
        Hi Mary,
        My name is Isabel. I've been enrolled in the EFMP since the early 90s.
        We have a 16 year old son that has Autism. I was also a Marine Corps
        EFMP Coordinator and worked at Headquarters Marine Corp. Do you have
        specific questions you would like to ask about relocating from one
        duty station to another when you have a child with special needs?

        Isabel

        --- In Military_EFMP@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" <lmjb972@...> wrote:

        > Hello, my name is Mary. I'm a sahm of 4 and my youngest (3) has mild
        > Cerebral Palsy. I'm currently looking for a group for support in the
        > miilitary who have experience in moving and the EFMP. I hope to hear
        > from you all soon!
        > Mary

      • Lewis B
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 29, 2007
          Yeah I do..if you don't mind.  They are going to be goofy questions too!  Sorry...lol

          1. do you have to go through a screening process before you move, everytime?
          2. is it normally easy to find doctors off base?

          Ok, I think that is all!!  lol  I can't think of anything else right now...but I'm sure they will come!

           Thanks!!
          Mary

          izzybruce <USMC_Family@...> wrote:
          Hi Mary,
          My name is Isabel. I've been enrolled in the EFMP since the early 90s.
          We have a 16 year old son that has Autism. I was also a Marine Corps
          EFMP Coordinator and worked at Headquarters Marine Corp. Do you have
          specific questions you would like to ask about relocating from one
          duty station to another when you have a child with special needs?

          Isabel

          --- In Military_EFMP@ yahoogroups. com, "Mary" <lmjb972@... > wrote:

          > Hello, my name is Mary. I'm a sahm of 4 and my youngest (3) has mild
          > Cerebral Palsy. I'm currently looking for a group for support in the
          > miilitary who have experience in moving and the EFMP. I hope to hear
          > from you all soon!
          > Mary

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Isabel Hodge
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 29, 2007

            Mary,

            What branch of the military are you in?

            Each of the military Services’ Personnel monitors/detailers (the personnel who decide where to send your AD spouse next) have a “flag” in their database that tells them when someone is enrolled in the EFMP. The monitors do not know your Dx, only that you are enrolled.. The monitors consult with the EFMP office at Headquarters to determine if the duty station(s) they want to send your spouse to will meet the medical needs of the family member that has special needs. Usually, this means the EFMP office will look at your most recent DD2792 and DD2792-1 EFMP enrollment forms, the Dx, providers and frequency of visits and the availability of those providers in the area you are moving to.

            When I am PCS-ing from one duty station to another I usually consult the TRICARE provider directory.. I can call the providers listed directly, ask them if they are still network providers (because that can change overnight) and if they are still accepting TRICARE beneficiaries.. If you tell me which state you are moving to (or TRICARE Region) I can give you the link to the provider directory.  A lot of families with children with special needs have opted to enroll the child in TRICARE standard instead of Prime because you have more of a choice when it comes to network providers. Here’s the TRICARE web page for more information on TRICARE Standard: http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/ProfileFilter.do;jsessionid=Hm4FmYk03vDYPfnD6zvtj1TS3vJllyMCHFJPCw2tRswrg27j2hYm!-1217713639?&puri=%2Fhome%2Foverview%2FPlans%2FStandardExtra

            Isabel

            izzybruce < USMC_Family@ comcast.net > wrote:

            Hi Mary,
            My name is Isabel. I've been enrolled in the EFMP since the early 90s.
            We have a 16 year old son that has Autism. I was also a Marine Corps
            EFMP Coordinator and worked at Headquarters Marine Corp. Do you have
            specific questions you would like to ask about relocating from one
            duty station to another when you have a child with special needs?

            Isabel

            --- In Military_EFMP@ yahoogroups. com, "Mary" <lmjb972@... > wrote:

            > Hello, my name is Mary. I'm a sahm of 4 and my youngest (3) has mild
            > Cerebral Palsy. I'm currently looking for a group for support in the
            > miilitary who have experience in moving and the EFMP. I hope to hear
            > from you all soon!
            > Mary

            Do You Yahoo!?
            http://mail. yahoo.com

          • Lewis B

              Yeah I do..if you don't mind.  They are going to be goofy questions too!  Sorry...lol
              1. do you have to go through a screening process before you move, everytime?
              2. is it normally easy to find doctors off base?
              Ok, I think that is all!!  lol  I can't think of anything else right now...but I'm sure they will come!
               Thanks!!
              Mary

              izzybruce < USMC_Family@ comcast.net > wrote:
              Hi Mary,
              My name is Isabel. I've been enrolled in the EFMP since the early 90s.
              We have a 16 year old son that has Autism. I was also a Marine Corps
              EFMP Coordinator and worked at Headquarters Marine Corp. Do you have
              specific questions you would like to ask about relocating from one
              duty station to another when you have a child with special needs?

              Isabel

              --- In Military_EFMP@ yahoogroups. com, "Mary" <lmjb972@... > wrote:

              > Hello, my name is Mary. I'm a sahm of 4 and my youngest (3) has mild
              > Cerebral Palsy. I'm currently looking for a group for support in the
              > miilitary who have experience in moving and the EFMP. I hope to hear
              > from you all soon!
              > Mary

              Do You Yahoo!?
              http://mail. yahoo.com

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • USMC_Family@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 29, 2007
                Unfortunately that is common when you are stationed in a remote area. Does the Dev. Ped from San Diego do clinic visits?
                Do you have access to Medi-Cal?

                We are stationed at Quantico, Va.. It can take me a couple of hrs to get to Bethesda or Walter Reed but there are no providers in the network here...

                Isabel
                Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

[...]

                When I am PCS-ing from one duty station to another I usually consult the TRICARE provider directory.. I can call the providers listed directly, ask them if they are still network providers (because that can change overnight) and if they are still accepting TRICARE beneficiaries.. If you tell me which state you are moving to (or TRICARE Region) I can give you the link to the provider directory.  A lot of families with children with special needs have opted to enroll the child in TRICARE standard instead of Prime because you have more of a choice when it comes to network providers. Here’s the TRICARE web page for more information on TRICARE Standard: http://www.tricare <http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/ProfileFilter.do;jsessionid=Hm4FmYk03vDYPfnD6zvtj1TS3vJllyMCHFJPCw2tRswrg27j2hYm!-1217713639?&puri=%2Fhome%2Foverview%2FPlans%2FStandardExtra> mil/mybenefit/ProfileFilter.do;jsessionid=Hm4FmYk03vDYPfnD6zvtj1TS3vJllyMCHFJPCw2tRswrg27j2hYm!-1217713639?&puri=%2Fhome%2Foverview%2FPlans%2FStandardExtra

                Isabel

                ----------------

                --- In Military_EFMP@ <mailto:Military_EFMP%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com, "Mary" <lmjb972@...> wrote:

                > Hello, my name is Mary. I'm a sahm of 4 and my youngest (3) has mild
                > Cerebral Palsy. I'm currently looking for a group for support in the
                > miilitary who have experience in moving and the EFMP. I hope to hear
                > from you all soon!
                > Mary

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Lewis B
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 29, 2007
                  San Diego is a 3 hr drive.  If we were to go there, would they see us?  How would that work?  If we did, we'd have to have Friday appts or Monday.  We'd just stay there for the weekend.  But if we go through the ones we have here, they are 2 hrs away and 45 min from LA and we'd just spend the day down there and drive back.  LA is actually less than 2 hrs away from us anyway.

                  I haven't really looked into the other resources.  I will have to look into Medi-Cal.  I tried a few other sites tonight but no luck.  I did write down a bunch of numbers so I will make some calls tomorrow.  Like I said, we have never been in this situation and we have NO idea what we are entitled too.  I was told we could get SSI, but I'd have to call the SS office and see how it works.  We have ECHO, and I don't know how that works either!  I just need one of those Resources for CP for Dummies!!  lol

                  I am going to call the school again and the Regional Center, too.  Thanks for all of the help!!  You have been great!
                  Mary

                  --- In Military_EFMP@ yahoogroups.com, "Mary" wrote:

                  > Hello, my name is Mary. I'm a sahm of 4 and my youngest (3) has mild
                  > Cerebral Palsy. I'm currently looking for a group for support in the
                  > miilitary who have experience in moving and the EFMP. I hope to hear
                  > from you all soon!
                  > Mary

                  <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:Military_EFMP-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:Military_EFMP-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Isabel Hodge
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 30, 2007

                    Mary,

                    Your child’s PCM at the clinic should be able to set up an appt with the Developmental Pediatrician either at Balboa or at Children’s in San Diego . I have a close friend, Jenny, who is also a military spouse that has a son that’s 11 years old and has cerebral palsy, and a daughter with special needs too. She lives close to the Naval hospital in San Diego . Her hubby is the Provost Marshall at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot. If you want I can get you connected with her. She’s always willing to help other military families.

                    Definitely follow-up with the Regional Center and Medi-Cal. It can take several months to get Supplemental Security Income because of the disability determination process so start working on that now..If you live on base you have a better chance of qualifying for SSI.  If you want services etc from ECHO you should speak with your child’s PCM at the clinic. There is a lot of things you can get from TRICARE Prime now too, e.g. OT, PT, Speech Therapy.. If you have questions about ECHO the best person to speak to initially would be the BCAC at the nearest TRICARE Service Center .

                    Have you heard of Specialized Training of Military Parents “STOMP”? It’s a National Parent Training and Information Center that’s funded with a grant from the Department of Education and exists to serve military families with children with special needs. Their website URL is http://www.stompproject.org STOMP has a listserv where you can connect with other military families. They have hundreds of members on their listserv and you could probably connect with other parents at your current duty station with children that have CP. The best way to learn about services is from other parents and even better when they’re at your duty station. I would recommend that you join that website.

                    Also, the Department of Defense has their own family programs website “MilitaryHOMEFRONT” There is a section specifically for EFMP families. Here’s the URL: http://www.militaryHOMEFRONT.dod.mil/efm  This area on MilitaryHOMEFRONT has state resources, military and general disability resources, a forum where you can communicate with other families with children with special needs as well as an installation forum. On their homepage you will see a link to the Department of Defense Special Needs Parent Tool Kit as well as their “What’s New” info. They publish any information that benefits the military community with special needs in that area and in their “Special Needs Events” section. They have a monthly special needs newsletter that I recommend signing up for too.

                    To be honest, your post on this Yahoo group is probably only the 2nd that I’ve received in months.. I would join the STOMP listserv or try MilitaryHOMEFRONT’s forums. I’ve been using the STOMP listserv for years and have gone to their training in Seattle . If you ever have any questions about your child’s special education entitlements via the IDEA then STOMP is a great resource for you.

                    Isabel

                    izzybruce wrote:

                    Hi Mary,
                    My name is Isabel. I've been enrolled in the EFMP since the early 90s.
                    We have a 16 year old son that has Autism. I was also a Marine Corps
                    EFMP Coordinator and worked at Headquarters Marine Corp. Do you have
                    specific questions you would like to ask about relocating from one
                    duty station to another when you have a child with special needs?

                    Isabel

                    --- In Military_EFMP@ yahoogroups. com, "Mary" wrote:

                    > Hello, my name is Mary. I'm a sahm of 4 and my youngest (3) has mild
                    > Cerebral Palsy. I'm currently looking for a group for support in the
                    > miilitary who have experience in moving and the EFMP. I hope to hear
                    > from you all soon!
                    > Mary

                    Do You Yahoo!?
                    http://mail. yahoo.com