Boeing B-17J

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2011

      Fellows,

      It seems that the Coast Guard’s PB-1G may have had the paper designation of B-17J !

      Just go through the attached webpage.

      The USCG Air Station Brooklyn at Historic Floyd Bennett Field

      www.oocities.org/floyd_bennett_field/uscg.html

      Cheers

      Bob

    • SIRIUS
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2011
        > It seems that the Coast Guard's PB-1G may have had the paper designation
        > of
        > B-17J !

        Something to do with the Air Force supplying them, perhaps? Their system may
        not have allowed for non-standard (to them) designations, so they might have
        assigned one in their own designation system. Definitely an interesting
        find.

        Jeff
      • Fred
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2011

          After some research….

          http://uscgaviationhistory.aoptero.org/CGAS_Brooklyn/AIR_STATION_HISTORY/50TH_BOOK/CH3.HTM

          Picture is about halfway down the page……

          Boeing PB-1G (B-17J)

          Used frequently on the International Ice Patrol, 18 of these were acquired. They had a range of 2500 miles and were in service from 1945 - 1959.

          Fred

          WPAFB

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2011
            I'm dubious...the 20 transferred (16 accepted) new Lockheed-built B-17s were earmarked for transfer from the AAF to the USCG through the Navy in 1945 when the USCG was still part of the Dept of the Navy for the war. The Navy modified the airplanes for the USCG and all official records show the PG-1G designation assigned from the beginning in 1945. I suspect the B-17J designation was a caption writers figement.

            --- In Military_Aircraft_Designations@yahoogroups.com, SIRIUS <siriusproductions@...> wrote:

            > > It seems that the Coast Guard's PB-1G may have had the paper designation
            > > of
            > > B-17J !
            >

            > Something to do with the Air Force supplying them, perhaps? Their system may
            > not have allowed for non-standard (to them) designations, so they might have
            > assigned one in their own designation system. Definitely an interesting
            > find.
            >
            > Jeff

          • Scott
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2011
              Check that typo...the designation was PB-1G.