Milehicon Kids Programming

  • Larraine Stacey
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 20, 2009
      Hi all,

      Larraine here, starting to work on Milehicon kids programming. The theme this year is going to be "Superhero Island" – where all the superheroes go for vacation. I think this will turn out to be a really fun theme. It will include all superheroes – Spiderman, Batman, X-Men, Transformers, Power Rangers, Wonder Woman, Fantastic Four, Hellboy, you get the idea. Anyway, I was thinking for room decorations we do it up island style then have super hero words done colorfully on large pieces of white cardstock, like 'POW', 'Zowie', 'Kablam'.

      Programs could include a Superhero Obstacle Course where kids have to save the world by going through an obstacle course of cardboard boxes, garbage cans, old tires, ropes, sports equipment, hula hoops, chairs, or anything to create a challenging course. Other challenges can include long jump, balance beam walking, climbing, crawling through a tube, running faster than a speeding bullet, etc. Kryptonite Game: Use a green glow stick and play the same as "hot potato." Have kids sit in a circle and pass the kryptonite around while listening to music. When the music stops, the last person to have the kryptonite has to sit out. Play until there is one winner. And other such games, there are lots out there to do with superheroes.

      Of course, costuming could be around making a superhero costume for each kid, and another program could even be making accessories and gadgets for your superhero.

      These are just a handful of ideas that will hopefully jolt your creative minds. Now you can send me ideas for other programs along the same theme. I’m open for lots of fun stuff.

      Rose, or anyone else, if I left someone out it was totally unintentional.  Please let me know if there is anyone missing from this list that would like to work on or contribute to kids programming.  Thanks!!

      Larraine Stacey
      Milehicon Kids Programming

    • Linda Nelson
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 21, 2009
        Larraine,

        This sounds great for the kids.

        Thanks,

        Linda

[...]

      • cloven_fruit_games
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 21, 2009
          --- In MileHiCon@yahoogroups.com, Larraine Stacey <larrainestacey@...>
          wrote:
          >Larraine here, starting to work on Milehicon kids programming. The
          >theme this year is going to be "Superhero Island" â€" where all the
          >Larraine Stacey
          >Milehicon Kids Programming

          I am willing to help on one of these days. Let me know when you would
          like help.

          I think Along with costume design, writing up a description of the
          hero with powers and weaknesses could be fun.

          I have a few super hero like games I could bring in as well (or some I
          could get from publishers).

          Thanks
          Fred Poutre
          Cloven Fruit Games
        • Larraine Stacey
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 22, 2009
            Thanks Fred.  That's great!  You were so much fun last year - I'm glad you'll be involved again.  I'll pencil you in to help with creating superheroes personnas, powers, weaknesses, costumes, etc.  And let me know about any games you come up with so I can schedule them in, too.  I know we're still a long way from October, but it has a habit of sneaking up on one if you don't keep on top of it.

            One of the things I'm planning is an obstacle course for superhero training.  I think with all your positive energy you would be great to help out there if you're interested.  We'll keep in touch and figure it all out as the time nears.  Thanks again for volunteering.  I'm thrilled you're on board.

            Larraine Stacey

            >Larraine here, starting to work on Milehicon kids programming. The
            >theme this year is going to be "Superhero Island" â€" where all the
            >Larraine Stacey
            >Milehicon Kids Programming

            I am willing to help on one of these days. Let me know when you would
            like help.

            I think Along with costume design, writing up a description of the
            hero with powers and weaknesses could be fun.

            I have a few super hero like games I could bring in as well (or some I
            could get from publishers).

            Thanks
            Fred Poutre
            Cloven Fruit Games

          • Jaime B
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 23, 2009
              (Cross-posting from email reply)

              That’s a fabulous
              idea! I love the Kryptonite Hot Potato.

              I’d be happy to
              make decoration signs if you let me know how many you’d like? I know exactly
              what you’re going for… vintage Batman, yes? J

              How about a creative
              thinking/writing/comic bit, kind of an oral story in the round, where we have a
              starting point (“It was a dark and stormy night in Gotham…”) and let the kids
              each contribute short parts in turn, and then an adult can write the story as we
              go… then the kids can make little drawings to go with the sentences/paragraphs
              they came up with. I’m sure there’s a Kinkos around somewhere, somebody (and
              I’m volunteering!) could put everything together into a kind of comic and go get
              as many copies as needed for each kid to come back and pick one up at a “Release
              Party” – and the kids could sign each other’s, like a yearbook! (We’d want to
              keep a list of kid & parent names to be sure everyone got
              theirs…)

              I always take these
              things too far, hahaha, so feel free to say “Yeah too much!”

              ________________________________

              wrote:
              >Larraine here, starting to work on Milehicon kids programming. The
              >theme this year is going to be "Superhero Island" â€" where all the
              >Larraine Stacey
              >Milehicon Kids Programming

              I am willing to help on one of these days. Let me know when you would
              like help.

              I think Along with costume design, writing up a description of the
              hero with powers and weaknesses could be fun.

              I have a few super hero like games I could bring in as well (or some I
              could get from publishers).

              Thanks
              Fred Poutre
              Cloven Fruit Games

            • Meg Evonne
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 24, 2009
                Love your ideas!� Another to add to your mix, would be an activity of making Wonder Woman bracelets, stiff paper, colored aluminum foil, and a ribbon to tie them in place.� Then you could set up a lasso game with small prizes if they manage to lasso the object.� :-)�� You've really got some wonerful ideas!� And you are starting so early!� Congrats!� Meg E Dobson

                ________________________________

              • wereleopardlover@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 24, 2009
                  Hey hi,
                  Just an idea for the older kids or kids at heart... what powers would your ultimate superhero have...invent your own superhero but they can only have "X" number of powers and must have one or two weaknesses that you can pick but must be significant weaknesses.... and then see if others could come up with the best way to beat your hero. See what sort of mix they'd come up with. :)

                  Hugs
                  Maggie

                  Love your ideas!  Another to add to your mix, would be an activity of making
                  onder Woman bracelets, stiff paper, colored aluminum foil, and a ribbon to tie
                  hem in place.  Then you could set up a lasso game with small prizes if they
                  anage to lasso the object.  :-)   You've really got some wonerful ideas!  And
                  ou are starting so early!  Congrats!  Meg E Dobson

                  _______________________________
                  rom: Larraine Stacey <larrainestacey@...>
                  o: arlen@...; Carol Angel <carolangel@...>; courtney.willis@...;
                  tmontrose@...; Danyda <taleskai@...>; darkovnia@...; dhorst
                  dhorst@...>; dsummers@...; John <mystic_vampyr@...>;
                  ulie Colclasure <jcolclasure@...>; Laura Givens <lauragive@...>;
                  eera Barry <mtfierce@...>; Rose Beetem <milehiconprogram@...>;
                  he.fierce@...; Victoria Hanley <victoriahanley@...>; alisia
                  illiman <lovedess@...>; DHorst <d
                  horst@...>;
                  ileHiCon@yahoogroups.com
                  ent: Friday, February 20, 2009 5:36:48 PM
                  ubject: [MileHiCon] Milehicon Kids Programming

                  i all,

[...]

                  nd=2
                  0another program could even be making accessories and gadgets for your
                  uperhero.

                  hese are just a handful of ideas that will hopefully jolt your creative minds.
                  ow you can send me ideas for other programs along the same theme. I’m open for
                  ots of fun stuff.

                  ose, or anyone else, if I left someone out it was totally unintentional.
                  lease let me know if there is anyone missing from this list that would like to
                  ork on or contribute to kids programming.  Thanks!!
                  Larraine Stacey
                  ilehicon Kids Programming

                • Larraine Stacey
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 25, 2009
                    A big thanks to all who have emailed ideas for the Superhero theme this year.  I've received some terrific ideas and have created a file that I'm keeping all of them in.  I plan on incorporating all of these ideas in some way this year, and anxiously await any others you guys come up with.  Great job.  Keep um comin'.

                    Plus, a little tweak will change it from Superhero Island - a place where superheros go to relax, to Superhero Island - a place where superheros go for training.  I think this will be much more fun to work with - what do you think?

                    Also let me know if you would like to work on any particular program/panel.

                    Larraine Stacey
                    Kids Programming

                  • Jaime B
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 26, 2009
                      I love that idea... a training island!

                      We could get em' to exercise too! Jumping jacks, that kind of thing... Can't be a superhero without getting a workout ;)

                      Lorraine, I'm happy to work with you on any of these, just let me know what you need, and if you need anything sewn in advance (capes to decorate with fabric markers perhaps? I'm thinking 1.99/yd cotton from Wal-Mart, etc...)... and as I mentioned, I'm happy to help you put together whatever decoration signs you might need (I know Lexie would love to help with that!).

                      Thanks for justifying my need to plan ahead... I'm glad I'm not the only one! ;)