Fannish art outing this Saturday

  • R. Beetem
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2010
      The Denver Area Science Fiction Association normally has its Alternate meeting/party on the first Saturday of the month. This month, we're doing it as an art-flavored outing.

      The first Saturday of the month is free general admission at the Denver Art Museum, and a new piece has recently opened.

      Immobilité is the first feature-length film ever shot entirely with a mobile phone. Inspired by the painterly qualities of the idyllic coastal region of Cornwall, England, and the multi-dimensional relationship between text, image and sound, Mark Amerika explores the fragmentary nature of contemporary life. Intentionally unscripted and improvised, the film — directed by Amerika — shows the ambiguous wanderings of two female characters to tell the tale of a utopian future world. Immobilité, on view in Fuse Box on the 4th level of the Hamilton Building, is approximately 70 minutes long.

      The plan is to meet at the Denver Art Museum is the Hamilton Building's atrium (in front of the Museum Shop) around 3:45 to make sure we have time to see the last showing (which starts at around 4:15). It's not necessary to make reservations, but it would be nice to hook up with people there, so look for us.

      For those interested in seeing some of the other exhibitions on view (Charles Deas and 1840s America--only appearing at the DAM—Robert Benjamin: Notes from a Quiet Life—photographs-- Shape & Spirit: Bamboo from the Lutz Collection, etc., and King Tut, which is available for a special Denver Arts Week price of $52.80 for two adult tickets and two audio tours), the DAM will be open until 10 pm for Night at the Museums.

      Afterwards, those interested can rendezvous for ice cream, walk over to Mad Greens or Pint's Pub for early dinner, or something else, based on who's there and what we're interested in. Let me know if you're interested in coordinating at the DAM to start the day/evening.

      And speaking of evening, Saturday night is Night at the Museums. Around 18 museums in Denver, Littleton and Golden are participating with free general admission. (For complete information, times and schedules visit www.DenverArtsWeek.com. The DAM is a stop for the free shuttle bus that night.)

      Presuming that I have kicked this cold by then, I was thinking of going to the Museum of Outdoor Arts (MOA) to see the Nick Bantock exhibition.

      From the MOA website: "Bantock's "Griffin & Sabine" trilogy essentially created a new literary genre by combining fine art, fiction, and 3-dimensional interactive books. Bantock's books have sold more than 3 million copies worldwide in 12 international editions; and the titles lingered 100 weeks on the New York Times best-seller list. Bantock has designed everything from postage stamps to pop-up books to the recently published Penguin edition of Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales." For the MOA exhibition, Bantock created 80 new paintings or drawings - many in large format. Approximately 70 pieces of original art from his "Griffin & Sabine" trilogy will be on exhibit as well. Bantock will transform MOA's indoor galleries into various whimsical rooms such as The Drawing Room and The Mail Room."

      Normally the MOA is open only 11-4 on Saturday, but for Night at the Museums it will reopen from 5-10 pm. It is located at Englewood Civic Center, 1000 Englewood Pkwy., 2nd Floor, Ste. Suite 2-230.
      However, if a number of people show up and are interested in a different venue – DMNS, Botanic Gardens, etc. – I could probably be talked into that as well, since the Bantock exhibit is up until late May.

      Cheers!
      Programming Rose