Fwd: [MidwestCemeteries] Digest Number 43

  • Alan Gornik
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23 6:12 AM
      James:
      This may help.
        Alan

      5246 Hohman Avenue
      Hammond, IN 46320
      Phone: 219-931-5380

      Description of Resources:

      The cemetery has about 612 burials from Congregation Beth Israel.
      Access to Records and Fees:

      The records can be accessed by telephoning the cemetery or by going onto JewishGen and accessing the JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry (JOWBR)

      JewishGen, Inc.
      2951 Marina Bay Dr., Suite 130-472
      League City, Texas 77573
      Phone: 281-535-2200
      Fax: 281-535-2204

      Website: www.JewishGen.org
      Website: www.JewishGen.org/jgff                     (Family Finder)
      Website: www.JewishGen.org/ShtetlSeeker/      (Shtetl Seeker)
      Website: www.JewishGen.org/gedcom               (Family Tree of Jewish People)
      Website: www.JewishGen.org/InfoFiles/faq.html  (FAQ)
      Website: www.JewishGen.org/yizkor/database.html (Yizkor Books)
      Website: www.JewishGen.org/databases/Holocaust (Holocaust Databases)
      Website: www.jewishgen.org/databases/cemetery/ (JOWBR)
      Description of Resources:

      This multi-faceted website is the true
      home of Jewish Genealogy. It contains info files, digests, and projects on Jewish Genealogy world-wide. Below are some highlights of what's available.  For the latest list of the full contents, go directly to the website.

      1. JewishGen Family Finder-A database of over 300,000 surnames and towns currently being researched by genealogists worldwide.
      2. Databases-Actual records and finding aids that have been compiled worldwide.
      3. The Family Tree of the Jewish People-A searchable compilation of family trees of Jewish researchers.
      4. Jewishgen FAQ-Frequently asked questions (and answers) about doing Jewish research.
      5. JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry (JOWBR) contains burial information for the following cemeteries in Chicagoland:

           Indiana: Kneseth Israel (Hammond, about 612 burials)

      Date: 23 Mar 2006 10:46:06 -0000

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Whiting Cemetary, Whiting Indiana Question
      From: "James Zahrndt"
      2. Re: Whiting Cemetary, Whiting Indiana Question
      From: robert elliott

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:39:47 -0600
      From: "James Zahrndt"
      Subject: Whiting Cemetary, Whiting Indiana Question

      I've been doing some genealogy research on my family, and was wondering if
      anyone knows more details about "Whiting Cemetery, Whiting INDIANA". I
      haven't been able to find much on this cemetary, which was later known as
      "Old Whiting Cemetery". One of the first children born to my
      great-great-grandparents died at 3 months of age in Apr, 1885 and was buried
      there.

      What I do know are as follows:

      1) Per a sole "Hammond Indiana Ghost Tours site", the people buried there
      were moved to other cemeteries in 1917 to make room for "development".

      2) Other contacts have provided information that the cemetery was moved to
      Kneseth Israel (aka Hammond Jewish), St. John's, and St. Joseph's cemeteries
      in Hammond Indiana. The Standard Oil Refinery (now BP Amoco) in Whiting,
      Indiana was the "development" referred to earlier.

      3) The Kneseth Israel (aka Hammond Jewish) cemetery appears to have closed
      in 1976.

      What I'd like to find out are the following:

      A) Where exactly was the cemetery located? The BP Amoco refinery covers a
      large area; my curiosity has me wondering more about the specific location.

      B) Any other information about the cemetery - when exactly was it moved,
      where interrment records may be found, etc?

      C) Any contact information for Kneseth Israel (aka Hammond Jewish) cemetery?
      I'd like to find out if more of my relatives may be listed in any burial
      records. There's roughly seven (7) children yet to be accounted for. Out of
      14 children my great-great-grandparents had, only three (3) are known to
      have survived to adulthood. I can account for four (4) children dying
      between the ages of 3 months and 12 years old.