Whiting Cemetary, Whiting Indiana Question

  • James Zahrndt
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 20 6:39 PM
      I've been doing some genealogy research on my family, and was wondering if anyone knows more details about "Whiting Cemetery, Whiting INDIANA". I haven't been able to find much on this cemetary, which was later known as "Old Whiting Cemetery". One of the first children born to my great-great-grandparents died at 3 months of age in Apr, 1885 and was buried there.

      What I do know are as follows:

      1) Per a sole "Hammond Indiana Ghost Tours site", the people buried there were moved to other cemeteries in 1917 to make room for "development".

      2) Other contacts have provided information that the cemetery was moved to Kneseth Israel (aka Hammond Jewish), St. John's, and St. Joseph's cemeteries in Hammond Indiana. The Standard Oil Refinery (now BP Amoco) in Whiting, Indiana was the "development" referred to earlier.

      3) The Kneseth Israel (aka Hammond Jewish) cemetery appears to have closed in 1976.

      What I'd like to find out are the following:

      A) Where exactly was the cemetery located? The BP Amoco refinery covers a large area; my curiosity has me wondering more about the specific location.

      B) Any other information about the cemetery - when exactly was it moved, where interrment records may be found, etc?

      C) Any contact information for Kneseth Israel (aka Hammond Jewish) cemetery? I'd like to find out if more of my relatives may be listed in any burial records. There's roughly seven (7) children yet to be accounted for. Out of 14 children my great-great-grandparents had, only three (3) are known to have survived to adulthood. I can account for four (4) children dying between the ages of 3 months and 12 years old.

    • robert elliott
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 22 11:12 AM
        James,

        Good luck....

        I had the same situation with my great grandparents who were buried in a cemetery near Chicago that was moved for developement.Or so they said.
        No records,they did have a stone,no trace of it.

        I worked at a funeral  home for 20 years and had always been lead to believe this was illegal.Apparently not.

        I know it sounds ,well like a movie,but I bet you anything,if they dug under the addition they developed all would be found.The stones were just destroyed.It is easy to remove gravestones,but a money hungry developer would not go to the expense of having graves relocated.

        Bob

        James Zahrndt <kf9au@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Mail