Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Unknown tomb

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 17, 2005
      On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Dixie wrote:

      > Sorry Matt, but I don't have much info.  I was not able to stop and get
      > out of the car.  It looked like limestone, very light in color.  It does
      > have a door, and is built into a hill.  It is quite ornate but not
      > readable when going down the highway, and only a few feet from the side
      > of the road.  Thanks!

      Very interesting. I'll see if I can dedicate a day toward exploring
      that area next spring.

      --
      hucke@...
      http://www.graveyards.com

      "The day will come when our silence will be more powerful than the
      voices you are throttling today." -- August Spies, 1887
    • dixie61032@peoplepc.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 17, 2005
        I would drive over and get a photo, but it is about an hour and a half from my town, so I won't make a trip just for that.  Although, a good graveyard mystery is pretty tempting, and I might just be tempted to go shopping while I'm there.  Oh oh.
        Dix
      • Donna
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 21, 2005
          This made me curious so I did what to me is the obvious answer, I looked up the library on Google for that town, sent them a question and they sent me the following reply This is the Norton Family Mauseleum . The Norton farm is across roadand has been in use since about 1846. They sell asparagus and strawberries in the summer as it is a working farm.They have 12 family members inside the tomb.

          On 11/17/05, dixie61032@... <dixie61032@...> wrote:
          I would drive over and get a photo, but it is about an hour and a half from my town, so I won't make a trip just for that.  Although, a good graveyard mystery is pretty tempting, and I might just be tempted to go shopping while I'm there.  Oh oh.
          Dix

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Dixie
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 21, 2005
            Thank you Donna!  Why didn't I think of that?  It was really driving me crazy, so I really appreciate your great job of "sleuthing!"
            Dixie