Tedrow Cemetery Vandalized

  • Sharon Becker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2010
      Thought I'd share this. From Mason City Iowa's newspaper.
      I had photographed some of the gravestones, meaning
      to get back there and finish when cooler weather came our
      way.

      Most of the gravestones predate 1910 and were white marble.
      40 headstones is about every gravestone in the cemetery.

      Sharon R. Becker
      Ringgold County IAGenWeb Coordinator
      srbecker@...

      Ringgold County Home Page
      http://iagenweb.org/ringgold/

      * * * * * *
      40 headstones smashed in Ringgold County cemetery

      MOUNT AYR, Iowa (AP) - Authorities in Ringgold County say vandals have caused more than $20,000 in damage to a southern Iowa cemetery.

      The Ringgold County sheriff's office reported Tuesday about 40 headstones at the Tedrow Cemetery in Athens Township were knocked over and broken between July 11 and July 17.

      The cemetery is being described as a pioneer cemetery. That means less than 12 burials have occurred at the cemetery during a 50-year period. Most of the headstones in the cemetery were repaired and restored five years ago.

      The Ringgold County Sheriff's office is asking for the public's help in finding the vandals, and asks those with information to contact the officials.

      Do you have a slow PC? Try free scan!
    • linda.lathrop @ yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24, 2010
        Just makes me sick. This has happened to a pioneer cemetery in OR
        that I am on the Board for.
        I sure don't remember this ever happening when I was a kid...
        Linda Lathrop

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 25, 2010
          Two many laws  for the people. Enforce what we have. Do not babyfy the youth. The filth that do these things  are real
          lucky a family member of the deceased was not standing there with a shotgun. The guilty would have suffered just a little pain. If we follow tbis governments rules  our country's
          life is at stake. Put them to work and prison for things  like
          this. I pray it happens  soon.