Re: Greetings from a new member

  • wisylkie
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
      Hi Foxie,
      Even though Laura Ingalls' paternal grandparents remained in NW Wis., Charles Ingalls had "itchy feet" {the way Laura put it), and they moved first to the Pepin, WI area [Little House in the Big Woods} and then to Walnut Grove, MN [Little House on the Prairie] and later, to South Dakota. So the TV series was supposed to be taking place in the rolling, open and expansive prairies of southern Minnesota, but was actually filmed in California, and some of the episodes actually showed mountains! And, Michael ("Little Joe") Landon did not look anything like "Pa"!!! :-) We enjoyed the series, too, inspite of the discrepencies.

      Merilee
    • Sarah
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
        Anybody know where Laura Ingalls baby brother is buried? I can't remember if she told or not...or if he has a headstone..that would be interesting to see...
        I love this group!
        Sarah

      • Tracy St Claire
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
          All this talk about Laura Ingalls has me gigging through my stuff. I am in possession of some manuscripts of two sisters' diaries from the mid-late 1800s in Minnesota as they grew up to maturity. They are real diaries and not "fictionalized" as Rose is said to have done to Laura's account. And they contain some adult content because, well, they grew up.  FASCINATING stuff.  I was going to publish them but, alas, they didn't die until the late '30s and '40s and so the death + 70 whatever years copyright thing has not yet kicked in. But it gave me a real sense of the constant death and matter-of-fact marriage that went on.  Oh well, rambled enough.  Tracy

          .

        • sarbuddy12
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 7, 2009
            I have a friend who might be able to translate anything in Swedish....I'm not sure if she knows Norwegian.

            Carol

            --- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, "wisylkie" <mthor2008@...> wrote:

            > I live in NW Wisconsin and have been fascinated by old gravestones for quite sometime, but just recently became interested in historic preservation of cemeteries. I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject, and have found some great websites.
            >
            > Touring the mostly tiny, rural cemeteries around here, I've found that all have well-cared-for grounds and are neat as a pin (and still being used), with the older stones from early pioneers who settled here around 1880 or so. (The earliest birthdate I've found for someone has been 1815.) The inscriptions are usually in Norwegian and Swedish; having had a couple of "Conversational Norwegian" classes in the distant past is not helping me translate!
            >
            > The city of Rice Lake is about an hour drive from my house and contains several great examples of "tree trunk" headstones, which I hope to photograph soon. Another very small rural cemetery that may be of interest to some is called the Orange Lakeside Cemetery near Webster, WI. It contains the graves of Laura Ingalls Wilder's paternal grandparents and other family. Unfortunately, it appears that their old gravestones (if they were there) have been replaced by newer granite markers. The only old headstone is for Hiram Ingalls - "Pa" (Charles) Ingalls younger brother. Like all the cemeteries around here, it is in a very peaceful setting, with some huge old trees growing amongst the graves.
            >
            > Anybody in this neck of the woods who would be interested in exploring cemeteries with me, please send a message!
            >
            > Merilee
            > near Frederic, WI

          • Foxie Hagerty
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 8, 2009
              Tracy,
              I thought "Little House on the Prairie" was based on true stories? I have no idea. I just grew up watching the show and reading the books.
              you might be able to publish the one in the 1930's if you want it had the 50 year on the copyright not for sure on the 1940 or when that did go into affect but think the 70 year comes in later. can't remember off the top of my head.

              i surely enjoy reading old letters my grandmother wrote and when my parents passed a couple of years ago I was hoping to get more of them but alas my sister stole them all and then had them destroyed. what a waste.
              Foxie
              Foxie Hagerty
              1635 Sherwood Road
              Dahinda, IL 61428
              Phone: 309-337-5530
              Vice-Pres Knox Co Genealogical Society
              Warren Co. Historical Society
              Lucretia Leffingwell Chapter, NSDAR
              Mary Todd Lincoln Tent #48

              IllinoisSavingGraves
              http://illinoigsavinggraves.ning.com/ ****new
              http://www.myspace.com/foxie_hagerty
              Illinois American History & Genealogy Project
              http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ilahgp/illini.htm
              http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/county/knox/
              http://www.genealogytrails.com/ill/knox/
              http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/county/warren/
              http://www.genealogytrails.com/ill/warren/index.html
              http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/state2/index.htm
              http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilhca/index.html
              Illinois Saving Graves Mailing list
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ilsavinggraves/
              Warren Co., IL Mailing List
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarrenCountyPostinQueries/

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 8, 2009
                Hey, are you related to them?
                will have to watch some of the reruns they have on cable channels now. also if you can could you send me a photo of one of the tombstones>? I'd love to see it.
                Hollywood is Hollywood!! Look at
                "Bonanza"

                I liked watching these old shows but what children are watching today is something else.
                happy days.

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 12, 2009
                  Hi again,
                  To answer your question - No, I'm not related to the Ingalls. But we do have a local doctor who is Laura's great-grand nephew. He's an occasional contributor to a "Community Voices" column of our local newspaper, so maybe has inherited a writing gene from his famous aunt.

                  When I figure out how to work my new printer/scanner, I will definitely post some photos I've taken from my cemetery explorations. Haven't yet entered the digital age as far as cameras go; too fond of my old 35mm Minolta that takes such great photos!

                  Merilee