Come join me at Lincoln Days /Civil War Re-Enactment, on IllinoisSavingGraves

  • Foxie
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2009
      Network Email
      IllinoisSavingGraves
      Our Motto "PreservingIllinoisGravesOne@Grave@Time!!!" Help us Help YOU!
      Foxie
      Foxie has invited you to the event 'Lincoln Days /Civil War Re-Enactment,' on IllinoisSavingGraves!

      A Lincoln Event. Happy Days to everyone. Anyone can post an event or something they are doing. and invited members from the list. just add them as a friend.
      Foxie

      Lincoln Days /Civil War Re-Enactment, Time: June 6, 2009 to June 7, 2009
      Location: Pittsfield Lake, Pike Co., IL
      Organized By: Pike Co., IL & Civil War Re enactment people

      Event Description:
      I got invited to this event at a Daughter's of the Union Soldeirs Lincoln Birth Celebration in Springfield and should of put on here sooner. I've just been busy doing things or trying to catch up around here with all of our rain we've had. Hopefully this week end we will have good weather and since I have a friend down in Adams co not far from here we are going to be going to this. and maybe hit a cemetery or two along the way.

      Step back in time to historic Pittsfield as Union and
      Confederate forces prepare for battle at the 480 acre Lake Pittsfield. Call 217-285-6995 for more iformation.

      See more details and RSVP on IllinoisSavingGraves:
      http://illinoigsavinggraves.ning.com/events/event/show?id=2405851%3AEvent%3A4541&xgi=2rrTO7a
      About IllinoisSavingGraves
      Dedicated providing education & preserving&restoring endangered & forgotten cemeteries statewide-PreservingIllinoisGravesOne@Grave@Time
      IllinoisSavingGraves 80 members
      701 photos
      31 discussions
      9 Events
      39 blog posts

      To control which emails you receive on IllinoisSavingGraves, click here
    • Minda Powers-Douglas
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2009
        Wish I could make it! I'll be in Minnesota this weekend.

        Minda

        Minda Powers-Douglas
        Epitaphs Magazine
        PO Box 1163
        Moline, IL 61266-1163

        minda.epitaphsmag@...

        www.TheCemeteryClub.com

        Now available:
        Epitaphs Magazine #7 at www.TheCemeteryClub.com or Lulu.com

        "Life in Parts: An Interpretation from the Cemetery" -- Photography and prose by Minda Powers-Douglas. Available only at www.TheCemeteryClub.com.

        "Cemetery Walk" by Minda Powers-Douglas
        Journey into the cemetery and beyond in this fascinating book. Purchase your copy today from AuthorHouse Publishing
        www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~27291.aspx

        ***********************

        Love Tastefully Simple? Let me be your consultant!
        www.tastefullysimple.com/web/mpowers-douglas

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2009
          The mausoleum in Harrisburg, Illinois's big historic cemetery is endangered.

          I plan to visit next week, and this mausoleum is now one of my top priorities:

          http://www.wsiltv.com/p/news_details.php?newsID=4653&type=top

          (Harrisburg is in Saline County in Southeast Illinois).

          --
          Matt Hucke (hucke@...), programmer.
          author, Graveyards of Illinois - http://graveyards.com/
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 22, 2009
            > The mausoleum in Harrisburg, Illinois's big historic cemetery is endangered.
            >
            > I plan to visit next week, and this mausoleum is now one of my top priorities:

            Alas, I didn't make it there.

            I drove to Louisville KY to participate in an investigation of a haunted site
            with the Ghost Research Society: the Waverly Hills Sanitorium. It was my
            intention to explore Southeast Illinois graveyards before and after.

            Unfortunately, the universe intervened in two different ways: heavy storms
            were forecast for the region on the two days before my appointment at Waverly;
            and two days before a trip I was suddenly struck down with a cold.

            I was so congested and headache-stricken that I took an extra day to drive
            to Louisville, splitting the six-hour drive in two and staying the night
            between in Indianapolis. I was well enough to participate in the haunted
            hospital walk-through as planned, and departed Louisville on Saturday morning.

            I drove east through Southern Indiana, stopping at the Lincoln historic
            sites there (did you know that Mr. Lincoln worked as a cemetery sexton in
            his youth, in the small churchyard where his sister is buried? How fascinating,
            to walk over graves that had been dug by the most revered American of all time,
            and to photograph monuments that he may have himself set in place.)

            In Gallatin County Illinois is the Old Slave House - a country mansion belonging
            to John Hart Crenshaw, who kidnapped free Blacks, forced them to work his salt
            mines, and sold them back into slavery in Kentucky. The house is on state land,
            and none may trespass, but I saw it from the road; and I found Crenshaw's grave
            about a mile north.

            Aside from the slaveholder Crenshaw, I visited a few graveyards near Shawneetown,
            McLeansboro, and Carmi, where there were Senators and a governor buried; but then
            drove home, cutting short my trip, as I was still somewhat congested and low
            in energy.

            What was *really* annoying was that, on the day I had departed to start the trip,
            I'd been feeling so poorly that I didn't take the time to pack properly; all the
            maps of the region that I had carefully printed remained on my desk at home. I
            even stopped at a public library to look at my own web site and print a few lists
            at one point... so my trip was also cut short due to my failure to adequately
            prepare.