RE: [MidwestCemeteries] symbols left on graves

  • md9105@rogerscomputers.net
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 5, 2009
      Many times (pre-depression) families would leave muscle or conch shells on
      the graves of family. Most shell was left as a burial gift.I have found
      over 30+ near gravestones(which I promptly return after restoration).
      On African American graves it was common to break the favorite bowl,plate
      and cup of the deceased and put them on the burial site. I find
      crocks,glassware,conch,shells,plates,bowls repeatedly.

      Mark Davis
      Stone Saver Cemetery Restortion

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 5, 2009

        People leave things today, like cigarettes, beer bottles, beer cans, pictures, cigars, boats, toys, all kinds of things are left on the graves in today's society too so it's not something that they just did back then. I know of several young people killed in car accidents and leave cigs, beer bottles, and even little play cars on their graves. Angles. little ones. I left cigars on my dads grave when he died cuz loved to chew them after he quit smoking them.
        happy days.
        Foxie Hagerty
        "At the Risque of Our Lives and Fortunes."
        1635 Sherwood Road
        Dahinda, IL 61428
        Phone: 309-337-5530
        Vice-Pres Knox Co Genealogical Society
        Warren Co. Historical Society
        Lucretia Leffingwell Chapter, NSDAR
        Mary Todd Lincoln Tent #48

        Illinois Saving Graves
        http://illinoigsavinggraves.ning.com/
        http://www.myspace.com/foxie_hagerty
        Illinois AHGP--New
        http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ilahgp/illini.htm
        http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/county/knox/
        http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/county/warren/
        Illinois Saving Graves Official site
        http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/state2/index.htm
        http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilhca/index.html
        Illinois Saving Graves Mailing list
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ilsavinggraves/
        Warren Co., IL Mailing List
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarrenCountyPostinQueries/

        In two of our cemeteries we have a conch shell on the grave. We have no info that these two buried people are related? Do you have any info about these symbols?

        Thanks

        Peggy

        PeoplePC Online
        A better way to Internet
        http://www.peoplepc .com

      • larry friedman
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 6, 2009
          IN JEWISH CEMETERIES A LITTLE STONE IS LEFT ON THE GRAVE MARKER,IT HAS MORE SUPERSTION THAN RELIGIOUS MEANING BUT IT'S BELEAVED THAT BY LEAVING THE STONE IT WILL KEEP EVIL SPIRITS AWAY FROM BOTHERING THE PERSON BURIED THERE

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 6, 2009
            Hello,

            The two cemeteries are located in the Lessley Cemetery and the Fairview Cemetery in the small town of Houston, IL.

            Peggy Fitzpatrick

            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 6, 2009
              Hi Mar, and thank you very much.  Very interesting.

              Peggy Fitzpatrick

              In two of our cemeteries we have a conch shell on the grave. We have no
              info that these two buried people are related? Do you have any info about
              these symbols?

              Thanks

              Peggy

              Exchange - http://link. mail2web. com/Personal/ EnhancedEmail

            • PEGGY FITZPATRICK
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 6, 2009
                Foxie, thanks.  Where is Dalinda?

                Peggy Fitzpatrick

                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 6, 2009
                  Knox county, Illinois.
                  Foxie
                  Foxie Hagerty
                  1635 Sherwood Road
                  Dahinda, IL 61428
                  Phone: 309-337-5530
                  Vice-Pres Knox Co Genealogical Society
                  Warren Co. Historical Society
                  Lucretia Leffingwell Chapter, NSDAR
                  Mary Todd Lincoln Tent #48
                  IllinoisSavingGraves
                  Illinois American History & Genealogy Project

                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 7, 2009
                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > The two cemeteries are located in the Lessley Cemetery and the Fairview Cemetery in the small town of Houston, IL.
                      > �Peggy Fitzpatrick

                      Lessley Cemetery! That's in Randolph County... I was there last September. Driving from
                      St. Clair County to Carbondale, I spotted it by the side of the road, and (of course)
                      pulled over.

                      Here are some photos, including one of the conch:

                      http://www.graveyards.com/bin/grave?id=4368

                      I also recall seeing a few conch shells in the Red Bud city cemetery, a few miles northwest.

                      --
                      hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

                    • PEGGY FITZPATRICK
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 7, 2009
                        Many thanks for your input.  The Lessley Cemetery is a favorite of mine with my grandmother, grandfather, mother and father being buried there.  The story that goes with this cemetery is that Jane Lessley, who lived on another hill back of the cemetery, used to sit in her rocking chair and look out over the hills.  She said she wanted to be buried on the hill, where the cemetery is now.

                        Jane was born 1782 and died 1824, first to be buried in that cemetery.

                        My grandma and I used to walk up to this cemetery, take a picnic lunch, spread out a cloth to sit on and have our lunch.

                        Matt, I am writing a book about Houston at present, could I use your pictures of the cemetery with mention of your help, please?

                        We have been meeting for five weeks now about this book and the response is overwhelming for such a small town with nothing left but houses and a few people.

                        There is another cemetery 5 miles south of Houston, a Baptist one with history to it, also.  Another conch shell is there.

                        I will visit the Red Bud cemetery.

                        I can't thank you enough.  I love your photos.

                        Peggy Fitzpatrick

                        hucke@cynico. net - http://www.graveyar ds.com

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 7, 2009
                          > Many thanks for your input.� The Lessley Cemetery is a favorite of mine with my
                          > grandmother, grandfather, mother and father being buried there.� The story that
                          > goes with this cemetery is that Jane Lessley, who lived on another hill back of the
                          > cemetery, used to sit in her rocking chair and look out over the hills.� She said
                          > she wanted to be buried on the hill, where the cemetery is now.

                          Interesting history.

                          > Matt, I am writing a book about Houston at present, could I use your pictures of the
                          > cemetery with mention of your help, please?

                          Certainly! I have other photos, not showing, that you could also use; I'll put them
                          in a private place on the site so you can see them. I'd like a copy of the book
                          when it's printed, please.

                          > We have been meeting for five weeks now about this book and the response is overwhelming
                          > for such a small town with nothing left but houses and a few people.

                          Local history is fascinating, but people don't realize this until you draw their attention
                          to it. I grew up just north of Red Bud, in Millstadt, and never knew - until years after
                          I departed - that my town had once been famous for an 1870s axe murder.

                          > I can't thank you enough.� I love your photos.

                          Thanks.

                          I remember my visit to Lessley clearly. I was driving southeast on a highway when I came
                          across a section under construction. Traffic was almost at a standstill; it took twenty
                          minutes or so to go just a few miles. Then, by the side of the road I saw some monuments;
                          I drove down a slope into the cemetery, explored it, and then sat there for a while until
                          I was ready to rejoin the sluggish traffic. It provide a pleasant respite from an annoying
                          part of the trip.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 7, 2009
                            HI,

                            When you put these pictures in a private place, will you instruct me about how to access them, please?

                            Peggy Fitzpatrick

                            > Many thanks for your input.  The Lessley Cemetery is a favorite of mine with my
                            > grandmother, grandfather, mother and father being buried there.  The story that
                            > goes with this cemetery is that Jane Lessley, who lived on another hill back of the
                            > cemetery, used to sit in her rocking chair and look out over the hills.  She said
                            > she wanted to be buried on the hill, where the cemetery is now.

                            Interesting history.

                            > Matt, I am writing a book about Houston at present, could I use your pictures of the
                            > cemetery with mention of your help, please?

                            Certainly! I have other photos, not showing, that you could also use; I'll put them
                            in a private place on the site so you can see them. I'd like a copy of the book
                            when it's printed, please.

                            > We have been meeting for five weeks now about this book and the response is overwhelming
                            > for such a small town
                            with nothing left but houses and a few people.

                            Local history is fascinating, but people don't realize this until you draw their attention
                            to it. I grew up just north of Red Bud, in Millstadt, and never knew - until years after
                            I departed - that my town had once been famous for an 1870s axe murder.

                            > I can't thank you enough.  I love your photos.

                            Thanks.

                            I remember my visit to Lessley clearly. I was driving southeast on a highway when I came
                            across a section under construction. Traffic was almost at a standstill; it took twenty
                            minutes or so to go just a few miles. Then, by the side of the road I saw some monuments;
                            I drove down a slope into the cemetery, explored it, and then sat there for a while until
                            I was ready to rejoin the sluggish traffic. It provide a pleasant respite from an annoying
                            part of the trip.

                            --
                            hucke@cynico. net - http://www.graveyar ds.com

                          • Minda Powers-Douglas
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 8, 2009
                              A shell symbolizes resurrection. Did you mean that the shell was left on the grave or that it was part of the monument itself?

                              I'm late getting into this conversation, so if these questions have already been answered, never mind!

                              Minda

                              Minda Powers-Douglas
                              Epitaphs Magazine
                              PO Box 1163
                              Moline, IL 61266-1163

                              minda.epitaphsmag@...

                              www.TheCemeteryClub.com

                              Now available:
                              Epitaphs Magazine #7 at www.TheCemeteryClub.com or Lulu.com

                              "Life in Parts: An Interpretation from the Cemetery" -- Photography and prose by Minda Powers-Douglas. Available only at www.TheCemeteryClub.com.

                              "Cemetery Walk" by Minda Powers-Douglas
                              Journey into the cemetery and beyond in this fascinating book. Purchase your copy today from AuthorHouse Publishing
                              www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~27291.aspx

                              ***********************

                              Love Tastefully Simple? Let me be your consultant!
                              www.tastefullysimple.com/web/mpowers-douglas

                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 8, 2009
                                  Hi Minda,  the shell is now laying on top of the monument, but may have been on the grave itself.

                                  Peggy Fitzpatrick

                                  minda.epitaphsmag@ gmail.com

                                  ************ ********* **

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 8, 2009
                                    Thank you very much.  Looking forward to keeping up this correspondence and sending a copy of "Houston" to Epitaphs Magazine.

                                    Peggy Fitzpatrick

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 13, 2009
                                      Hey Matt, is there any chance you have more specific directions to that cemetery in Red Bud. . .is it north on rt. 159 or north west of Red Bud? The one where you saw the conch shell.

                                      Going down there tomorrow.

                                      Thanks

                                      Peggy Fitzpatrick

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 14, 2009
                                        > Hey Matt, is there any chance you have more specific directions to that cemetery in Red Bud. . .
                                        > is it north on rt. 159 or north west of Red Bud? The one where you saw the conch shell.

                                        East side of Red Bud, on the main highway leading out of town. In the photos I've published
                                        for this cemetery, there's one with the conch shells visible, here:

                                        http://www.graveyards.com/bin/grave?id=11462

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 14, 2009
                                          Hi Matt,

                                          We went to this cemetery this afternoon, it was cloudy, but got several pictures.  Your picture has the sunshine and is much clearer.  I do so appreciate your helpful e-mails and thank you very much.