Re: [MidwestCemeteries] today's fatal crash

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 16, 2009
      > Did the crash happen at the Gate or where exactly?
      > Must have broken the fence.

      They've updated the article to say the truck "plowed through a chain-link fence" and several
      "large headstones" were "completely destroyed". But it looks like it missed the ornate
      entrance. The large granite monument that seems to have brought the truck to a halt (buckling
      its frame in the process) appears intact, from the photo.

      Alcohol "may have been a factor", say the police.

      I've never seen anything quite like Jewish Waldheim. It's about the same size as other
      big-city rural cemeteries like Graceland, Bellefontaine, Kensal Green, etc., but it's
      not a single cemetery; it's about 300 small cemeteries, each with its own entrance, name,
      and signs (though some have been lost in recent years). Once you're inside, though, they
      tend to blur together a bit - there are no clear boundaries.

      --
      hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

    • larry friedman
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 16, 2009
        IF YOU GO TO THE JEWISH WALDHEIM CEMETERY WEB SIGHT THEY HAVE A LITTLE SECTION THAT GIVES A HISTORY.LIKE MOST PEOPLE COMING TO THE UNITED STATES THE JEWISH POPULATION WOULD SETTLE WITH FAMILY OR PEOPLE FROM THE SAME OLD COUNTRY COMMUNITY. SO PEOPLE FROM THE SAME TOWNS OR TEMPLES WOULD LIVE TOGETHER WHEN THEY DIED THEY WANTED TO BE BURIED TOGETHER. TEMPLES OR RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATIONS WOULD BUY WHOLE AREAS OF THE CEMETERY.LIKE A GIANT FAMILY PLOT-BLOOD RETATIVES IN LAWS CO-WORKERS ETC. WHEN VISITING A JEWISH CEMETERY SATURDAYS ARE THE SABBATH AND CEMETERYS ARE CLOSED.SABBATH  BELONGS TO GOD AND IT'S DISRESPECTFUL TO THE PEOPLE BURRIED THERE IF YOU'RE VISITING INSTEAD OF AT TEMPLE WITH GOD

        hucke@cynico. net - http://www.graveyar ds.com

      • linda.lathrop @ yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 16, 2009
          Darn it. I hate when monuments are destroyed.
          He better have insurance. I hope there are photos so perhaps they could have them duplicated?

          Course if the guy died in the accident, I wonder if insurance still pays for damage?

          I have family in Graceland and Oak Wood and have never been back there and hope to come back late Summer or early Fall. I definitely want to see Jewish Waldheim also.

          I take photos of cemeteries like alot of us and plan on going crazy when I'm back there.

          Is there an online link to the newspaper article with photos?

          Linda

          > Did the crash happen at the Gate or where exactly?
          > Must have broken the fence.

          They've updated the article to say the truck "plowed through a chain-link fence" and several
          "large headstones" were "completely destroyed".  But it looks like it missed the ornate
          entrance.   The large granite monument that seems to have brought the truck to a halt (buckling
          its frame in the process) appears intact, from the photo.

          Alcohol "may have been a factor", say the police.

          I've never seen anything quite like Jewish Waldheim.  It's about the same size as other
          big-city rural cemeteries like Graceland, Bellefontaine, Kensal Green, etc., but it's
          not a single cemetery; it's about 300 small cemeteries, each with its own entrance, name,
          and signs (though some have been lost in recent years).  Once you're inside, though, they
          tend to blur together a bit - there are no clear boundaries.

          --
          hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

          It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the Leaf of China
          a warning.  It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:MidwestCemeteries-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:MidwestCemeteries-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 16, 2009
            here it is:

            http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/03/pickup-rolls-over-into-forest-park-cemetery.html

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 16, 2009
              I just wanted to say that I feel bad also that someone died.
              But I just wish people would stop drinking and driving.
              So sad.
              Thanks for posting the link, Matt.

              Linda