today's fatal crash

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 16 8:18 AM
      According to the Tribune, there was a fatal road accident today, in which a pickup truck
      rolled into Free Sons of Israel Cemetery (West Suburban Chicago), damaging several
      monuments and killing the driver.

      Free Sons of Israel doesn't have a separate listing in most lists based on USGS data
      (such as the lists on my site), because it's part of the Waldheim Jewish Cemeteries
      complex, a grouping of hundreds of tiny cemeteries, each with its own entrance.
      Free Sons of Israel is on a triangular piece of land near the south end of the
      western part of Waldheim.

      Here are a few photos:
      http://www.graveyards.com/IL/Cook/waldheim/31freesons.html

      --
      hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

    • linda.lathrop @ yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 16 8:43 AM
        Did the crash happen at the Gate or where exactly?
        Must have broken the fence.

        Linda L
        According to the Tribune, there was a fatal road accident today, in which a pickup truck
        rolled into Free Sons of Israel Cemetery (West Suburban Chicago), damaging several
        monuments and killing the driver.

        Free Sons of Israel doesn't have a separate listing in most lists based on USGS data
        (such as the lists on my site), because it's part of the Waldheim Jewish Cemeteries
        complex, a grouping of hundreds of tiny cemeteries, each with its own entrance.
        Free Sons of Israel is on a triangular piece of land near the south end of the
        western part of Waldheim.

        Here are a few photos:
             http://www.graveyards.com/IL/Cook/waldheim/31freesons.html

        --
        hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

        It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the Leaf of China
        a warning.  It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:MidwestCemeteries-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:MidwestCemeteries-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 16 1:10 PM
          > Did the crash happen at the Gate or where exactly?
          > Must have broken the fence.

          They've updated the article to say the truck "plowed through a chain-link fence" and several
          "large headstones" were "completely destroyed". But it looks like it missed the ornate
          entrance. The large granite monument that seems to have brought the truck to a halt (buckling
          its frame in the process) appears intact, from the photo.

          Alcohol "may have been a factor", say the police.

          I've never seen anything quite like Jewish Waldheim. It's about the same size as other
          big-city rural cemeteries like Graceland, Bellefontaine, Kensal Green, etc., but it's
          not a single cemetery; it's about 300 small cemeteries, each with its own entrance, name,
          and signs (though some have been lost in recent years). Once you're inside, though, they
          tend to blur together a bit - there are no clear boundaries.

          --
          hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

        • larry friedman
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 16 2:05 PM
            IF YOU GO TO THE JEWISH WALDHEIM CEMETERY WEB SIGHT THEY HAVE A LITTLE SECTION THAT GIVES A HISTORY.LIKE MOST PEOPLE COMING TO THE UNITED STATES THE JEWISH POPULATION WOULD SETTLE WITH FAMILY OR PEOPLE FROM THE SAME OLD COUNTRY COMMUNITY. SO PEOPLE FROM THE SAME TOWNS OR TEMPLES WOULD LIVE TOGETHER WHEN THEY DIED THEY WANTED TO BE BURIED TOGETHER. TEMPLES OR RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATIONS WOULD BUY WHOLE AREAS OF THE CEMETERY.LIKE A GIANT FAMILY PLOT-BLOOD RETATIVES IN LAWS CO-WORKERS ETC. WHEN VISITING A JEWISH CEMETERY SATURDAYS ARE THE SABBATH AND CEMETERYS ARE CLOSED.SABBATH  BELONGS TO GOD AND IT'S DISRESPECTFUL TO THE PEOPLE BURRIED THERE IF YOU'RE VISITING INSTEAD OF AT TEMPLE WITH GOD

            hucke@cynico. net - http://www.graveyar ds.com

          • linda.lathrop @ yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 16 2:20 PM
              Darn it. I hate when monuments are destroyed.
              He better have insurance. I hope there are photos so perhaps they could have them duplicated?

              Course if the guy died in the accident, I wonder if insurance still pays for damage?

              I have family in Graceland and Oak Wood and have never been back there and hope to come back late Summer or early Fall. I definitely want to see Jewish Waldheim also.

              I take photos of cemeteries like alot of us and plan on going crazy when I'm back there.

              Is there an online link to the newspaper article with photos?

              Linda

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 16 2:29 PM
                here it is:

                http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/03/pickup-rolls-over-into-forest-park-cemetery.html

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 16 2:41 PM
                  I just wanted to say that I feel bad also that someone died.
                  But I just wish people would stop drinking and driving.
                  So sad.
                  Thanks for posting the link, Matt.

                  Linda