Term Graves

  • rivycat@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9 11:46 AM
      Jim:

      Many years ago, gravesites at St. Boniface and other cemeteries, including Bohemian National Cemetery were "term" graves.  If the deceased's family could not afford to buy a permanent gravesite, they rented one for a term period, which was 5, 10 or 20 years.  When the term period was up, notification was sent to the deceased's families, but if the grave term was not renewed, the cemetery considered it abandoned and would re-use the spot for someone else.

      The gravediggers would open up the grave, and if there was a headstone, throw it on top of the casket which was usually wooden and was in a state of deterioration.  The new casket with the new burial would be placed on top of the old casket and that would then be considered a permanent burial place.

      All of the original term grave lot numbers were re-numbered, and attempts to find relatives buried in term graves is now nearly impossible.

      I have many relatives buried at St. Boniface, Resurrection, and Bohemian National that were originally placed in term graves.  Some were moved, but most of those who died before 1930 were very poor and could not afford to renew the grave term so their actual burial places are lost.

      Term graves are now obsolete in the Chicago area.

      In a message dated 3/9/2009 1:25:39 P.M. Central Daylight Time, jim247@... writes:

      I was told that I have a Great Uncle and Aunt buried in St. Boniface Cemetery  on Clark St ,in Chicago but that they couldn't find any surviors so they covered it with dirt and buried on top of them ..the name was Seter . any info would be apprecitad
      Jim seter [Setter]

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 13 5:52 AM
        Thank you so much for that information .My relations were buried way out in back by the south east corner .I can just remember seeing their graves when I was in grade school. I grew up 1 block west of St. Boniface on Ashland Ave

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 16 8:18 AM
          According to the Tribune, there was a fatal road accident today, in which a pickup truck
          rolled into Free Sons of Israel Cemetery (West Suburban Chicago), damaging several
          monuments and killing the driver.

          Free Sons of Israel doesn't have a separate listing in most lists based on USGS data
          (such as the lists on my site), because it's part of the Waldheim Jewish Cemeteries
          complex, a grouping of hundreds of tiny cemeteries, each with its own entrance.
          Free Sons of Israel is on a triangular piece of land near the south end of the
          western part of Waldheim.

          Here are a few photos:
          http://www.graveyards.com/IL/Cook/waldheim/31freesons.html

          --
          hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

        • linda.lathrop @ yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 16 8:43 AM
            Did the crash happen at the Gate or where exactly?
            Must have broken the fence.

            Linda L
            According to the Tribune, there was a fatal road accident today, in which a pickup truck
            rolled into Free Sons of Israel Cemetery (West Suburban Chicago), damaging several
            monuments and killing the driver.

            Free Sons of Israel doesn't have a separate listing in most lists based on USGS data
            (such as the lists on my site), because it's part of the Waldheim Jewish Cemeteries
            complex, a grouping of hundreds of tiny cemeteries, each with its own entrance.
            Free Sons of Israel is on a triangular piece of land near the south end of the
            western part of Waldheim.

            Here are a few photos:
                 http://www.graveyards.com/IL/Cook/waldheim/31freesons.html

            --
            hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

            It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the Leaf of China
            a warning.  It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:MidwestCemeteries-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:MidwestCemeteries-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 16 1:10 PM
              > Did the crash happen at the Gate or where exactly?
              > Must have broken the fence.

              They've updated the article to say the truck "plowed through a chain-link fence" and several
              "large headstones" were "completely destroyed". But it looks like it missed the ornate
              entrance. The large granite monument that seems to have brought the truck to a halt (buckling
              its frame in the process) appears intact, from the photo.

              Alcohol "may have been a factor", say the police.

              I've never seen anything quite like Jewish Waldheim. It's about the same size as other
              big-city rural cemeteries like Graceland, Bellefontaine, Kensal Green, etc., but it's
              not a single cemetery; it's about 300 small cemeteries, each with its own entrance, name,
              and signs (though some have been lost in recent years). Once you're inside, though, they
              tend to blur together a bit - there are no clear boundaries.

              --
              hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

            • larry friedman
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 16 2:05 PM
                IF YOU GO TO THE JEWISH WALDHEIM CEMETERY WEB SIGHT THEY HAVE A LITTLE SECTION THAT GIVES A HISTORY.LIKE MOST PEOPLE COMING TO THE UNITED STATES THE JEWISH POPULATION WOULD SETTLE WITH FAMILY OR PEOPLE FROM THE SAME OLD COUNTRY COMMUNITY. SO PEOPLE FROM THE SAME TOWNS OR TEMPLES WOULD LIVE TOGETHER WHEN THEY DIED THEY WANTED TO BE BURIED TOGETHER. TEMPLES OR RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATIONS WOULD BUY WHOLE AREAS OF THE CEMETERY.LIKE A GIANT FAMILY PLOT-BLOOD RETATIVES IN LAWS CO-WORKERS ETC. WHEN VISITING A JEWISH CEMETERY SATURDAYS ARE THE SABBATH AND CEMETERYS ARE CLOSED.SABBATH  BELONGS TO GOD AND IT'S DISRESPECTFUL TO THE PEOPLE BURRIED THERE IF YOU'RE VISITING INSTEAD OF AT TEMPLE WITH GOD

                hucke@cynico. net - http://www.graveyar ds.com

              • linda.lathrop @ yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 16 2:20 PM
                  Darn it. I hate when monuments are destroyed.
                  He better have insurance. I hope there are photos so perhaps they could have them duplicated?

                  Course if the guy died in the accident, I wonder if insurance still pays for damage?

                  I have family in Graceland and Oak Wood and have never been back there and hope to come back late Summer or early Fall. I definitely want to see Jewish Waldheim also.

                  I take photos of cemeteries like alot of us and plan on going crazy when I'm back there.

                  Is there an online link to the newspaper article with photos?

                  Linda

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 16 2:29 PM
                    here it is:

                    http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/03/pickup-rolls-over-into-forest-park-cemetery.html

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 16 2:41 PM
                      I just wanted to say that I feel bad also that someone died.
                      But I just wish people would stop drinking and driving.
                      So sad.
                      Thanks for posting the link, Matt.

                      Linda