Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Mass Grave in Winnetka, IL

  • Minda Powers-Douglas
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 10, 2009
      Tracy,

      If you're interested, I would love to run an article about this in an upcoming issue of Epitaphs Magazine. Would you be interested in writing one?

      Let me know!

      -Minda

      Minda Powers-Douglas
      Epitaphs Magazine
      PO Box 1163
      Moline, IL 61266-1163

      minda.epitaphsmag@...

      www.TheCemeteryClub.com

      Now available:
      Epitaphs Magazine #7 at www.TheCemeteryClub.com or Lulu.com

      "Life in Parts: An Interpretation from the Cemetery" -- Photography and prose by Minda Powers-Douglas. Available only at www.TheCemeteryClub.com.

      "Cemetery Walk" by Minda Powers-Douglas
      Journey into the cemetery and beyond in this fascinating book. Purchase your copy today from AuthorHouse Publishing
      www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~27291.aspx

      ***********************

      Love Tastefully Simple? Let me be your consultant!
      www.tastefullysimple.com/web/mpowers-douglas

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 11, 2009
        St. Bonafice is handled by Calvary in Evanston.  You could call them to find out at (847) 864-3050.
        Alan

        *********
        From: jim247@sbcglobal. net <jim247@sbcglobal. net>

      • jim247@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009
          thank You for the info , a phone call sure beats driving into chicago

          From: jim247@sbcglobal. net <jim247@sbcglobal. net>
          > Subject: Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Mass Grave in Winnetka, IL
          > To: MidwestCemeteries@ yahoogroups. com
          > Date: Monday, March 9, 2009, 12:44 PM
          > I was told that I have a Great Uncle and Aunt buried in St.
          > Boniface Cemetery  on Clark St ,in Chicago but that they
          > couldn't find any surviors so they covered it with dirt
          > and buried on top of them ..the name was Seter . any info
          > would be apprecitad
          > Jim seter [Setter]

        • Foxie Hagerty
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009
            yeah I'm a country bumpkin and I drove on the 330 expressway last summer. I just prayed I'd find my way out of there. i do not know hwo they do it. it was amazing to say the least.
            Foxie Hagerty
            "At the Risque of Our Lives and Fortunes."
            1635 Sherwood Road
            Dahinda, IL 61428
            Phone: 309-337-5530
            Vice-Pres Knox Co Genealogical Society
            Warren Co. Historical Society
            Lucretia Leffingwell Chapter, NSDAR
            Mary Todd Lincoln Tent #48
            From: jim247@... <jim247@...>
            To: MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Thursday, March 12, 2009, 7:24 AM

            From: jim247@sbcglobal. net <jim247@sbcglobal. net>
            > Subject: Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Mass Grave in Winnetka, IL
            > To: MidwestCemeteries@ yahoogroups. com
            > Date: Monday, March 9, 2009, 12:44 PM
            > I was told that I have a Great Uncle and Aunt buried in St.
            > Boniface Cemetery  on Clark St ,in Chicago but that they
            > couldn't find any surviors so they covered it with dirt
            > and buried on top of them ..the name was Seter . any info
            > would be apprecitad
            > Jim seter [Setter]

          • superior1980
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009
              Hello again. I want to thank all of you for your replies and suggestions. They are all appreciated. But I especially need to thank the person who suggested I contact the Winnetka Historical Society. In hindsight, that falls under the "why didn't I think of that" catagory!

              Well anyway, since I apparently stirred up some interest here, I thought I would share what I found out. The person I talked to on the phone at the historical society knew exactly what I was asking about, and in today's mail, I received copies of the information that she said she would send.

              When the Lady Elgin sank, hundreds of bodies washed ashore, and were laid out on a hill near the shore for people to come and claim. A rumor has existed since then that the bodies that were unclaimed or unidentifiable were simply buried at the site, but a lack of records makes that rumor unable to be proven or denied.

              Fast forward 131 years, to 1991, and a construction project unearthed a couple bones. Archeologists were called in, and two skeletons and the remains of wooden coffins were uncovered. An Illinois law that protects unmarked grave sites prevented any archeology being performed beyond recovering the two sets of bones that had been accidentally unearthed.

              Examination of the bones and of available historical records lead to the official opinion that the bodies were not from the Lady Elgin, but rather date from Winnekta's very early pioneers who had been buried in what had once been a churchyard.