Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Mass Grave in Winnetka, IL

  • Foxie Hagerty
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 7, 2009

      Calvary Cemetery contains a monument dedicated to the approximately 430 people who died with the sinking of the Lady Elgin on Lake Michigan in 1860. Most of those lost in the tragedy were from Milwaukee's Third Ward Irish community and is the second greatest loss of life seen on the Great Lakes.
      It doesn't state if they are buried there or not. in the above listing. But would like to see this. I will be going to the area this spring.
      I found the above. also would like to see or have a typed of the newspaper articles if that is at all possible. I also have a lady from the area who will be checking on this on Monday.

      Foxie Hagerty
      1635 Sherwood Road
      Dahinda, IL 61428
      Phone: 309-337-5530
      Vice-Pres Knox Co Genealogical Society
      Warren Co. Historical Society
      Lucretia Leffingwell Chapter, NSDAR
      Mary Todd Lincoln Tent #48
      http://illinoigsavinggraves.ning.com/
      http://www.myspace.com/foxie_hagerty
      http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/county/knox/
      http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/county/warren/
      http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/state2/index.htm
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilhca/index.html
      Illinois Saving Graves Mailing list
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ilsavinggraves/
      Warren Co., IL Mailing List
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarrenCountyPostinQueries/

      From: superior1980 <superior1980@ yahoo.com>
      Subject: [MidwestCemeteries] Mass Grave in Winnetka, IL
      To: MidwestCemeteries@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 12:23 AM

      Hello all. I am doing some reseach into the wreck of the steamship Lady Elgin, which sank in Lake Michigan off of Winnetka, Illinois, in 1860. A couple newspaper articles report of there having been a mass burial of about 80 victims in Winnetka. Does anyone happen to know where? Thank you for your time.

    • superior1980
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 7, 2009
        Wow, I didn't expect the enthusiastic response that my post received. Thank you for the interest, and for those who are willing to have people look into this, I am very appreciative!

        I am aware of the Calvary Cemetery plot and historical marker in Milwaukee. I've not been to them yet, but intend on doing so come spring and reliable nice weather. I have been to the Milwaukee Public Museum's Titanic exhibit, and seen the Lady Elgin and Edmund Fitzgerald displays that they have in conjuction with the Titanic exhibit. When I do visit Milwaukee, I also intend on visiting the graves of Titanic victims in the city.

        I am aware of the Lady Elgin being the second worst loss of life on the Great Lakes. The record-holder for the unfortunate designation of worst is the Eastland in Chicago in 1915. The Eastland was the subject of a past research project of mine, and I've been to many Eastland related sites and graves in the Chicago area.

        The various articles in which mention has been made of the Winnetka mass grave of Lady Elgin victims are recent articles that are mainly about the discovery and exploration of the wreck, with only a couple paragraphs touching on the history of the vessel. I've not yet come across reference to the grave in articles of the time of the disaster.

        The various references to the grave all read the same, a single sentence saying simply "approximately 80 unidentified were buried in a mass grave in Winnetka". It reads like one person made the reference, and everyone has simply repeated it. And unfortunately, as I would imagine most any researcher can attest to, just because something is said or in print, doesn't mean its true. But this is something I would most definitely like to try to find out more about rather just dismissing it.

        --- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, "superior1980" <superior1980@...> wrote:

        > Hello all. I am doing some reseach into the wreck of the steamship Lady Elgin, which sank in Lake Michigan off of Winnetka, Illinois, in 1860. A couple newspaper articles report of there having been a mass burial of about 80 victims in Winnetka. Does anyone happen to know where? Thank you for your time.

      • Alan Gornik
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 8, 2009
          Why don't you give the Winnetka Historical Society a call.  See http://www.winnetkahistory.org/.

          Alan Gornik
          Trustee
          Western Springs Historical Society
          Western Springs, IL

        • tasaint@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 9, 2009

            This is what I have. (Not to sound like I don't have anything

            better to do -- I've been investigating the Cherry Mine

            disaster and why I can find so few markers to match up

            to the victims).

            By an article in the Chicago Tribune on 9/20/1860,

            Thomas B. Bryan offers up space in Graceland Cemetery

            for this purpose. I can't find any evidence it was used.

            On September 7, 1861 (same paper) the reporters visit

            the graves of 27 unknown and yet unmarked in Rose Hill

            Cemetery.

            I can't find your reference to the Winnetka unknown burial.

            Tracy

          • jim247@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 9, 2009
              I was told that I have a Great Uncle and Aunt buried in St. Boniface Cemetery  on Clark St ,in Chicago but that they couldn't find any surviors so they covered it with dirt and buried on top of them ..the name was Seter . any info would be apprecitad
              Jim seter [Setter]

              Hello all. I am doing some reseach into the wreck of the steamship Lady Elgin, which sank in Lake Michigan off of Winnetka, Illinois, in 1860. A couple newspaper articles report of there having been a mass burial of about 80 victims in Winnetka. Does anyone happen to know where? Thank you for your time.

            • Minda Powers-Douglas
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 10, 2009
                Have you posted this to interview_taphophile@yahoogroups.com? It's (my group) and the group for www.TheCemeteryClub.com.

                I believe someone in the group has done some research on the Cherry Mine. They might have info about the other graves and cemeteries mentioned, too.

                Cheers and best of luck,
                Minda

                Minda Powers-Douglas
                Epitaphs Magazine
                PO Box 1163
                Moline, IL 61266-1163

                minda.epitaphsmag@...

                www.TheCemeteryClub.com

                Now available:
                Epitaphs Magazine #7 at www.TheCemeteryClub.com or Lulu.com

                "Life in Parts: An Interpretation from the Cemetery" -- Photography and prose by Minda Powers-Douglas. Available only at www.TheCemeteryClub.com.

                "Cemetery Walk" by Minda Powers-Douglas
                Journey into the cemetery and beyond in this fascinating book. Purchase your copy today from AuthorHouse Publishing
                www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~27291.aspx

                ***********************

                Love Tastefully Simple? Let me be your consultant!
                www.tastefullysimple.com/web/mpowers-douglas

                > I was told that I have a Great Uncle and Aunt buried in St.
                > Boniface Cemetery  on Clark St ,in Chicago but that they
                > couldn't find any surviors so they covered it with dirt
                > and buried on top of them ..the name was Seter . any info
                > would be apprecitad
                > Jim seter [Setter]
                >
                > --- On Mon, 3/9/09, tasaint@...
                > <tasaint@...> wrote:
                >
                > From: tasaint@... <tasaint@...>
                > Subject: Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Mass Grave in Winnetka, IL
                > To: MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com
                > Date: Monday, March 9, 2009, 11:23 AM
                >

                > This is what I have. (Not to sound like I don't have
                > anything
                > better to do -- I've been investigating the Cherry Mine
                >
                > disaster and why I can find so few markers to match up
                > to the victims).
                >
                > By an article in the Chicago Tribune on 9/20/1860,
                > Thomas B. Bryan offers up space in Graceland Cemetery
                > for this purpose. I can't find any evidence it was
                > used.
                >
                > On September 7, 1861 (same paper) the reporters visit
                > the graves of 27 unknown and yet unmarked in Rose Hill
                > Cemetery.
                >
                > I can't find your reference to the Winnetka unknown
                > burial.
                >
                > Tracy

              • Tracy St Claire
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 10, 2009

                  No, I haven't, but I will.  I didn't know about that group  ; )

                  The 100th anniversary of this disaster is coming up in November.
                  All bodies were eventually recovered except one. The other writer was
                  correct -- they initially closed the mine with nearly all bodies (including
                  20-some survivors) to try to put out the fire. They reopened it and rescued
                  some survivors, and recovered nearly all the bodies and restarted the mine.

                  There is a very thorough website --
                  that Ray Tujal, Jr has worked long and hard on, and a book was
                  recently published on it. (linked on that site)

                  259 people lost their lives, and 1 body was not recovered. That is a lot
                  of graves to be found, and the two (one) Cherry cemeteries -- adjacent --
                  Holy Trinity Miner's Memorial and Protestant Miner's Memorial -- were
                  created for this purpose. I've seen many names for them (it).

                  Not all were buried there, because many resided in nearby Peru, and
                  other places, but I expected many.  When I visited, I located only a couple
                  dozen or do between the two cemeteries.

                  I just expected a lot more to be in the one place. There was still scattered
                  snow and I may have missed some. Many were very worn although I saw
                  none in disrepair. I photographed the ones I saw and others, and could
                  decipher some names from the victims list.

                  I just wonder how many were unmarked, or so poorly marked that they have
                  since disintegrated? These coal miner families were destitute after the
                  disaster.

                  Tracy

                  minda.epitaphsmag@ gmail.com

                  ************ ********* **

                  Love Tastefully Simple? Let me be your consultant!
                  www.tastefullysimpl e.com/web/ mpowers-douglas

                  > I was told that I have a Great Uncle and Aunt buried in St.
                  > Boniface Cemetery  on Clark St ,in Chicago but that they
                  > couldn't find any surviors so they covered it with dirt
                  > and buried on top of them ..the name was Seter . any info
                  > would be apprecitad
                  > Jim seter [Setter]
                  >
                  > --- On Mon, 3/9/09, tasaint@comcast. net
                  > <tasaint@comcast. net> wrote:
                  >
                  > From: tasaint@comcast. net <tasaint@comcast. net>
                  > Subject: Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Mass Grave in Winnetka, IL
                  > To: MidwestCemeteries@ yahoogroups. com
                  > Date: Monday, March 9, 2009, 11:23 AM
                  >

                  > This is what I have. (Not to sound like I don't have
                  > anything
                  > better to do -- I've been investigating the Cherry Mine
                  >
                  > disaster and why I can find so few markers to match up
                  > to the victims).
                  >
                  > By an article in the Chicago Tribune on 9/20/1860,
                  > Thomas B. Bryan offers up space in Graceland Cemetery
                  > for this purpose. I can't find any evidence it was
                  > used.
                  >
                  > On September 7, 1861 (same paper) the reporters visit
                  > the graves of 27 unknown and yet unmarked in Rose Hill
                  > Cemetery.
                  >
                  > I can't find your reference to the Winnetka unknown
                  > burial.
                  >
                  > Tracy

                • Minda Powers-Douglas
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 10, 2009
                    Tracy,

                    If you're interested, I would love to run an article about this in an upcoming issue of Epitaphs Magazine. Would you be interested in writing one?

                    Let me know!

                  • Alan Gornik
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 11, 2009
                      St. Bonafice is handled by Calvary in Evanston.  You could call them to find out at (847) 864-3050.
                      Alan

                      *********
                      From: jim247@sbcglobal. net <jim247@sbcglobal. net>

                    • jim247@sbcglobal.net
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009
                        thank You for the info , a phone call sure beats driving into chicago

                        From: jim247@sbcglobal. net <jim247@sbcglobal. net>
                        > Subject: Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Mass Grave in Winnetka, IL
                        > To: MidwestCemeteries@ yahoogroups. com
                        > Date: Monday, March 9, 2009, 12:44 PM
                        > I was told that I have a Great Uncle and Aunt buried in St.
                        > Boniface Cemetery  on Clark St ,in Chicago but that they
                        > couldn't find any surviors so they covered it with dirt
                        > and buried on top of them ..the name was Seter . any info
                        > would be apprecitad
                        > Jim seter [Setter]

                      • Foxie Hagerty
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009
                          yeah I'm a country bumpkin and I drove on the 330 expressway last summer. I just prayed I'd find my way out of there. i do not know hwo they do it. it was amazing to say the least.
                          Foxie Hagerty
                          "At the Risque of Our Lives and Fortunes."
                          From: jim247@... <jim247@...>
                          To: MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Thursday, March 12, 2009, 7:24 AM

                          From: jim247@sbcglobal. net <jim247@sbcglobal. net>
                          > Subject: Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Mass Grave in Winnetka, IL
                          > To: MidwestCemeteries@ yahoogroups. com
                          > Date: Monday, March 9, 2009, 12:44 PM
                          > I was told that I have a Great Uncle and Aunt buried in St.
                          > Boniface Cemetery  on Clark St ,in Chicago but that they
                          > couldn't find any surviors so they covered it with dirt
                          > and buried on top of them ..the name was Seter . any info
                          > would be apprecitad
                          > Jim seter [Setter]

                        • superior1980
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 12, 2009
                            Hello again. I want to thank all of you for your replies and suggestions. They are all appreciated. But I especially need to thank the person who suggested I contact the Winnetka Historical Society. In hindsight, that falls under the "why didn't I think of that" catagory!

                            Well anyway, since I apparently stirred up some interest here, I thought I would share what I found out. The person I talked to on the phone at the historical society knew exactly what I was asking about, and in today's mail, I received copies of the information that she said she would send.

                            When the Lady Elgin sank, hundreds of bodies washed ashore, and were laid out on a hill near the shore for people to come and claim. A rumor has existed since then that the bodies that were unclaimed or unidentifiable were simply buried at the site, but a lack of records makes that rumor unable to be proven or denied.

                            Fast forward 131 years, to 1991, and a construction project unearthed a couple bones. Archeologists were called in, and two skeletons and the remains of wooden coffins were uncovered. An Illinois law that protects unmarked grave sites prevented any archeology being performed beyond recovering the two sets of bones that had been accidentally unearthed.

                            Examination of the bones and of available historical records lead to the official opinion that the bodies were not from the Lady Elgin, but rather date from Winnekta's very early pioneers who had been buried in what had once been a churchyard.