Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery

  • jordanjoe55
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2008
      Looking for info on Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery of Valley Park,
      MO. Was traditionally an African-American cemetery and may have been
      originally a "slave" cemetery.
    • Ella Jay
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 14, 2008
        > Looking for info on Missionary Baptist Church Cemetery of Valley
        Park,
        > MO. Was traditionally an African-American cemetery and may have been
        > originally a "slave" cemetery.

        I have started researching African-American heritage in east central
        Missouri, emphasis on Franklin, Warren, and Gasconade Counties (not an
        easy task). Doing this research towards developing material for the
        original Daniel Boone burial site in Warren County.

        I have some information on a few African-American cemeteries including,
        of course, Quinette (which has a couple of books written on it) and
        several small cemeteries that have been nearly destroyed.

        Do you only have the name of the cemetery or do you know where it is
        (or was) located? I might be able to cross-reference some information
        that I have with more location information (I am not familar with
        Valley Park but I do live in Franklin County, Missouri, which is
        relatively nearby).

        Ella Jay
        east central missouri

        ----------
      • Diane
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 16, 2008
          This is the first time I've replied to anyone, so I hope I'm doing it
          right. I live in Ballwin, MO, which is right next to Valley Park,
          both of which are in the greater St. Louis area. I looked
          up "Missionary Baptist" in the phone book and there is a "Missionary
          Baptist Greater Calvary" church and cemetery in the northeast part of
          the St. Louis area (Valley Park is in the southeast part). It's
          obviously not the one you're looking for, but most of the people who
          live in that area are African-American so perhaps someone at the
          church would know something about the cemetery you are looking for or
          could give you a better lead. Their phone number is 314-385-3376.
          Good luck!

          -Diane.

          --- In MidwestCemeteries@yahoogroups.com, "Ella Jay"