Re: [MidwestCemeteries] St. John's Cemetery, Washington Co., IL

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2008
      On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, FOXIE wrote:

      > Hey is anyone out there familiar with St. John's Lutheran Cemetery on
      > IL State route 127 and 177 it's on the cross roads of these two
      > routes. it is by the town of New Minden, IL in Washington Co., IL
      > I'm not sure which township that would be as I'm not that familiar
      > with Washington Co., IL. but am getting there.

      I explored it, briefly, as part of my week-long Southern Illinois
      expedition about a month ago. It wasn't one of my primary targets, but
      it's on the road between the county seats of Clinton & Washington, so I
      came across it by happenstance. Here are a few photos:

      http://www.graveyards.com/bin/grave?id=6285

      I didn't really notice the damage you cite - to be honest, I spent about
      ten minutes there, before moving on to the next city, as I had a lot of
      ground to cover that day. What I found most interesting about this
      graveyard was one monument, towards the back, that was a typical white marble
      pedestal tomb of the late 1800s, a square-sided shaft about six feet
      tall - except that this one was new and in pristine condition. Obviously
      someone had replaced an older monument, and had found a stonecarver willing
      to reproduce a style, and use a material, that went out of fashion about
      a hundred years ago.

      --
      hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com