St. John's Cemetery, Washington Co., IL

  • FOXIE
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2008
      Hey is anyone out there familiar with St. John's Lutheran Cemetery on
      IL State route 127 and 177 it's on the cross roads of these two
      routes. it is by the town of New Minden, IL in Washington Co., IL
      I'm not sure which township that would be as I'm not that familiar
      with Washington Co., IL. but am getting there.

      We were heading back home after a great week end down at Fort Massac,
      Metropolis, IL, for the George Rogers Clark 100th celebration and
      stopped in the cemetery.

      One thing that was very noticable were many many many and not just
      one or two bases without tops but very many many it was overwelming
      and I told my daughter something was up here. So, we got to looking
      around and in a cow pasture and are many tops to these stones plus
      other ones which are flat. Someone has been to the church for me and
      asked as we didn't stop to ask because no body was around when we
      were there or I would of have asked. But something needs to be done
      and if you should happen to have people buried here or know of people
      who have people buried in this cemetery please contac me.
      you can also see some photos I've posted on this web site not all I
      took but enought to give you the idea of what they are doing down
      there. I was very much appaulled but also was told they are doing a
      restoration project. That remains to be seen. I will be checking on
      this myself personally to see that something is done about it even
      though I live about two or three hours away.

      I always feel like I'm not going to be amazed and here I am again
      amazed at what people do that's truly amazing.

      thanks for any help in this matter.
      Foxie Hagerty
      1635 Sherwood Road
      Dahinda, IL 61428
      Phone: 309-337-5530
      Vice-Pres Knox Co Genealogical Society
      Warren Co. Historical Society
      Lucretia Leffingwell Chapter, NSDAR
      Mary Todd Lincoln Tent #48

      IllinoisSavingGraves
      http://illinoigsavinggraves.ning.com/ ****new
      http://www.myspace.com/foxie_hagerty
      http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/county/knox/
      http://www.genealogytrails.com/ill/knox/
      http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/county/warren/
      http://www.genealogytrails.com/ill/warren/index.html
      http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/state2/index.htm
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilhca/index.html
      Illinois Saving Graves Mailing list
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ilsavinggraves/
      Warren Co., IL Mailing List
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarrenCountyPostinQueries/
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 2008
        On Thu, 6 Nov 2008, FOXIE wrote:

        > Hey is anyone out there familiar with St. John's Lutheran Cemetery on
        > IL State route 127 and 177 it's on the cross roads of these two
        > routes. it is by the town of New Minden, IL in Washington Co., IL
        > I'm not sure which township that would be as I'm not that familiar
        > with Washington Co., IL. but am getting there.

        I explored it, briefly, as part of my week-long Southern Illinois
        expedition about a month ago. It wasn't one of my primary targets, but
        it's on the road between the county seats of Clinton & Washington, so I
        came across it by happenstance. Here are a few photos:

        http://www.graveyards.com/bin/grave?id=6285

        I didn't really notice the damage you cite - to be honest, I spent about
        ten minutes there, before moving on to the next city, as I had a lot of
        ground to cover that day. What I found most interesting about this
        graveyard was one monument, towards the back, that was a typical white marble
        pedestal tomb of the late 1800s, a square-sided shaft about six feet
        tall - except that this one was new and in pristine condition. Obviously
        someone had replaced an older monument, and had found a stonecarver willing
        to reproduce a style, and use a material, that went out of fashion about
        a hundred years ago.

        --
        hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com