Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Dixon Developmental Center Cemetery Updates

  • Dixie
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2008
      Tracy,
      where is the cemetery located in Dixon, and is it overgrown?  I work with many people who started out at Dixon State home years ago and I would like to pay a visit to the cemetery.
      Thanks,
      Dixie

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2008
        The cemetery is not all overgrown, just the most recent markers.
        The cemetery appears to be mowed but not professionally maintained --
        I see this at other cemeteries, I'm sure you know what I mean. They mow the
        lawn; that is it. If a grave sinks. no one fills it. If a stone starts to sink, they
        make no attempt to raise it, they simply mow over it. If a stone topples,
        it stays that way. If some start to disappear into the woods, that is not
        prevented.

        There is an art to cemetery maintenance akin to golf course maintenance
        that is not being practiced here.  I guess I would expect that.

        The cemetery is located due south of the correctional facility on 2nd Street.
        You can find the map. photos of the cemetery and some stones here:

        Bless your heart.  Visiting the cemetery is sad, but the stories of the facility,
        especially in the last decades when they were moving people out quickly, sometimes without
        knowing exactly what they were doing, must have been very emotional.
        Tracy

      • rivycat@aol.com