cemeteries in Thornton, IL

  • adgorn1
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20, 2008
      I happened to trip on the following websites so I'm posting just in
      case anyone is interested:

      Long Lost Cemetery Map Found
      http://www.thornton60476.com/cemetary%20map.html

      Mount Forest Cemetery
      http://www.thornton60476.com/history_mt_forest.html

      Alan
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 23, 2008
        I'm midway through a Southern Illinois graveyard expedition, writing this
        from a dialup connection at my parents' house near St. Louis.

        Since saturday, I've explored fifty-four graveyards in the area
        between Springfield and Kaskaskia. Mostly, I've been using the list
        of governors and senators, and seeking out their graves - all of which
        have been easy to find on this trip.

        Carrollton city cemetery was one of the most interesting, with a
        governor, a Speaker of the House, and lots of beautiful old monuments,
        including two lions on a raised platform.

        One governor's grave, though, was a major disappointment.

        The obelisk of Shadrach Bond, first governor of Illinois, was toppled
        by Hurricane Ike just last week. The pedestal stands, but the shaft
        is gone.

        One of the groundskeepers told me they're planning to replaceit - he
        didn't say whether the original shaft would be erected again, or a
        replacement made; nor did he know when this would happen.

        The town of Chester seems to be very proud of their governor, though,
        so I have hopes that they'll repair the monument.

        --
        hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com

      • md9105@rogerscomputers.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 23, 2008
          Matt,

          I would be glad to talk to the gentleman about assessing the condition of
          the stone and possible restoration.
          I will be in the DeKalb,IL area next week.

          Mark Davis
          Stone Saver Cemetery Restoration
          (765) 348 8061 cell
          http://www.geocities.com/md9105/StoneSaverCemeteryRestoration.html

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 24, 2008
            I envy you Matt,
            Wish I was on that kind of trip right now. but am sitting at home trying to get other people's photos on Illinois Saving graves web site plus, my county pages.
            Will see what I can find when I travel clear to the tip of IL to Fort Masaac at the end of oct and first of Nov. Can't wait for it to happen. probably mispelled the fort.
            Happy Cemetery wonderings
            Foxie
            Foxie Hagerty
            1635 Sherwood Road
            Dahinda, IL 61428
            Phone: 309-337-5530
            Vice-Pres Knox Co Genealogical Society
            Warren Co. Historical Society
            Lucretia Leffingwell Chapter, NSDAR
            Mary Todd Lincoln Tent #48
            http://www.myspace.com/foxie_hagerty
            http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/county/knox/
            http://www.genealogytrails.com/ill/knox/
            http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/county/warren/
            http://www.genealogytrails.com/ill/warren/index.html
            http://www.usgennet.org/usa/il/state2/index.htm
            http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilhca/index.html
            Illinois Saving Graves Mailing list
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ilsavinggraves/
            Warren Co., IL Mailing List
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarrenCountyPostinQueries/

            hucke@cynico. net - http://www.graveyar ds.com

          • vickie0213@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 24, 2008
              Im trying to locate the cemetery where my relatives are buried.There names are Jane Spearin d 7-2-1950 in Kanakee Il and her husband C. Frank Spearin d 11-18-1934 in Chicago , Cook Co.,Illinois.Thank you for any help out there.

            • Tracy St Claire
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 25, 2008

                Your best bet is to obtain their death certificates from the State of Illinois.
                They are both indexed:

                SPEARIN       C          FRANK         M/W  UNK  6032809 1934-11-18 COOK        CHICAGO             34-11-19

                SPEARIN       JANE       POLSON        F/W  Y-72 0029092 1950-07-02 KANKAKEE                        50-07-02

                The place of burial is specified on the IL death certificate, #17.

                You can get copies of these through this website:

                Good luck --
                Tracy

                On Sep 24, 2008, at 6:27 PM,  wrote:

                Im trying to locate the cemetery where my relatives are buried.There names are Jane Spearin d 7-2-1950 in Kanakee Il and her husband C. Frank Spearin d 11-18-1934 in Chicago , Cook Co.,Illinois. Thank you for any help out there.

                Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial challenges? Check out WalletPop for the latest news and information, tips and calculators.