We found an old cemetery...

  • Ann Schoenbaum
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2005
      My husband and I had heard talk about on old cemetery hidden. This cemetery has his great-great grandfather buried there, along with other relatives. There are tombstones that date back to and before the American Civil War. To get to this cemetery, you have to drive along side a field, which is owned by someone other than our family. We got permission to go and check this cemetery out. What we found, not only astounded us, but appalled us as well. The cemetery is overgrown by weeds, tombstones have been knocked over, some are broken. You can't tell where the cemetery begins let alone ends. Since the cemetery has tombstones with dates back in the 1860's, we believe that this cemetery has some history and would like advise on how we can help get it restored, and also hoping the it can become a Historic cemetery, and have it maintained the way it should be. If you can offer any help to us at all, we'd love to hear from you. As for as we know the name of the cemetery is Weisman Cemetery. Located in Prairietown, IL.
      Thank You
      Ann Schoenbaum

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 30, 2005
        > Since the cemetery has tombstones with dates back in the 1860's, we
        > believe that this cemetery has some history and would like advise on
        > how we can help get it restored, and also hoping the it can become a
        > Historic cemetery, and have it maintained the way it should be. If you
        > can offer any help to us at all, we'd love to hear from you. As for as
        > we know the name of the cemetery is Weisman Cemetery.
        > Located in Prairietown, IL.

        The best place to start is the Saving Graves web site.
        http://www.savinggraves.org ...and:
        http://www.savinggraves-us.org/il/

        Get the graveyard listed as an endangered site. Provide as much information
        as you can - history, location, current condition, with photos. If you
        have a GPS reader, get the exact latitude and longitude and confirm that
        with Mapquest or Google maps.

        By posting it on Saving Graves you'll attract the attention of everyone
        interested in preserving endangered graveyards, many of whom could offer
        advice or perhaps even assist in efforts to clean it up or gain official
        recognition.

        You could also join the Illinois Saving Graves mailing list at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ilsavinggraves

        --
        hucke@...
        http://www.graveyards.com

        "The day will come when our silence will be more powerful than the
        voices you are throttling today." -- August Spies, 1887
      • Ann Schoenbaum
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 30, 2005
          I appreciate you getting back to me, I have no idea what a GPS reader is though. I am waiting for a response from the family who owns the land surrounding the cemetery. He's concerned that if too many people trampling and driving to the cemetery will destroy his crops. Which as a farmer I understand, but my concern at the moment is saving the cemetery. I will be contacting the courthouse and getting as much information as I possibly can and will start from there. Thank you for your advice.
          Ann

          Matt Hucke <hucke@...> wrote:

          > Since the cemetery has tombstones with dates back in the 1860's, we
          > believe that this cemetery has some history and would like advise on
          > how we can help get it restored, and also hoping the it can become a
          > Historic cemetery, and have it maintained the way it should be. If you
          > can offer any help to us at all, we'd love to hear from you. As for as
          > we know the name of the cemetery is Weisman Cemetery.
          >  Located in Prairietown, IL.

          The best place to start is the Saving Graves web site.
                http://www.savinggraves.org                  ...and:
                http://www.savinggraves-us.org/il/

          Get the graveyard listed as an endangered site.  Provide as much information
          as you can - history, location, current condition, with photos.  If you
          have a GPS reader, get the exact latitude and longitude and confirm that
          with Mapquest or Google maps.

          By posting it on Saving Graves you'll attract the attention of everyone
          interested in preserving endangered graveyards, many of whom could offer
          advice or perhaps even assist in efforts to clean it up or gain official
          recognition.

          You could also join the Illinois Saving Graves mailing list at
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ilsavinggraves

          --
          hucke@...
          http://www.graveyards.com

          "The day will come when our silence will be more powerful than the
          voices you are throttling today." -- August Spies, 1887

          United state citizenshipTrademark united stateUnited state grant
          United state coinUnited state government grantUnited state patent

          http://mail.yahoo.com