Re: [MidwestCemeteries] Madison Wisconsin recommendations?

  • Minda Powers-Douglas
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2008
      Hey, Matt!

      Did you get to Forest Hill? It's beautiful. Hope you have a great trip!

      Minda

      Minda Powers-Douglas
      Epitaphs Magazine
      PO Box 1163
      Moline, IL 61266-1163

      minda.epitaphsmag@...

      www.TheCemeteryClub.com

      Now available:

      "Life in Parts: An Interpretation from the Cemetery" -- Photography and prose by Minda Powers-Douglas. Available only at www.TheCemeteryClub.com.

      "Cemetery Walk" by Minda Powers-Douglas
      Journey into the cemetery and beyond in this fascinating book.
      Purchase your copy today from AuthorHouse Publishing
      http://www.authorhouse.com/BookStore/ItemDetail~bookid~27291.aspx

      ***********************

      Love Tastefully Simple? Let me be your consultant!
      www.tastefullysimple.com/web/mpowers-douglas

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2008
        http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-bbn-cubsburialground,0,6609082.story

        (I don't agree with the "gloomy" bit... BNC is a beautiful place).

        Spot for fans whose team hasn't won in an eternity

        By DON BABWIN | Associated Press Writer
        5:05 PM CDT, July 11, 2008

        CHICAGO - Finally, the perfect answer for a team that has been
        killing its fans for 100 years: A place to put their remains.

        A Chicago man and Bohemian National Cemetery on the city's North
        Side are joining forces to build for Cubs fans a final resting place
        that looks a lot like the spot where they saw their dreams of a
        pennant die year after year.

        Called "Beyond the Vines," the 24-foot long ivy-covered wall is
        designed to look like the one in dead center at Wrigley Field.

        It's all on the drawing board now, but the wall is expected to be
        up and ready to accept fans in October -- just about the time Cubs
        fans are starting their annual mantra of "Wait till next year."

        And when it does go up, Dennis Mascari the president of Fans Forever,
        Inc., says it will transform the cemetery experience, if not for
        the dead, at least for the living.

        "When you come to a cemetery to visit a loved one it's usually a
        pretty sad, gloomy situation," he said, standing on the lawn where
        the wall will be erected. "But when you come here and visit (what
        looks like) his home away from home ... Wrigley Field, it's going
        to be a great feeling for people."

        Mascari, 60, is envisioning something special. There will be a
        stained-glass scoreboard. And at each of the 280 niches in the wall
        -- "eternal skyboxes, that's what we call them," he says -- there
        will be an urn emblazoned with the Cubs logo.

        Near each urn will be a bronze baseball card with a photograph of
        the deceased fan who, Mascari said, depending on the wishes of the
        family can be dressed up in a Cubs hat, Cubs jersey or full Cubs
        uniform. It could also include the dead fan's 'statistics' such as
        date of birth, date of death, and maybe their favorite Cubs game
        and favorite Cub.

        There's even talk of piping in Cubs games on speakers so nobody,
        living or dead, will miss an inning. Not only that, but if this
        idea appeals to more than 280 Cubs fans, the cemetery has set aside
        enough land to add a right-field wall and a left-field wall.

        The price tag for interment will cost as much as $5,000, the "grand
        slam" package that includes pick up of the body and delivery to
        Bohemian for cremation in its brand new $100,000 cremation oven, a
        service, and, of course, the baseball card plaque and urn.

        But Mascari knows there are plenty of fans who have long since died
        and their remains are just sitting in urns somewhere, waiting for
        their own Field of Dreams. Interment of those ashes can cost as
        little as $1,200.

        If this sounds, well, crazy, urns with the logo of the Cubs and
        other sports teams are already on the market and the maker of those
        urns -- Eternal Image -- says last year that Cubs urns accounted
        for 10 percent of their Major League urn sales.

        And nobody who saw survivors of dead Cubs fans bring photographs
        to the 2003 playoffs will forget the sight of them trudging home,
        pictures under their arms, after the Cubs once again failed to reach
        the World Series.

        Besides, Cubs fans have for years been scattering ashes of loved
        ones at Wrigley Field -- a tradition immortalized by the late
        singer-songwriter Steve Goodman, in whose "A Dying Cub Fan's Last
        Request" an old man asks his own family to do just that at the
        "ivy-covered burial ground." Those ashes include some of Goodman's,
        scattered there by family and friends a year after his death.

        That tradition reminds Mascari that his wall can offer something
        to fans they can't possibly get from having their ashes scattered
        on the outfield grass: Peace of mind.

        "Last year the turf (at Wrigley) was removed," Mascari explained.
        "So something like this would make sure that fans would never have
        to worry about any turf being removed and put somewhere else."

        Over at Wrigley, the Cubs aren't saying much. Team spokesman Peter
        Chase said in an e-mail that nobody connected with the team had
        heard of the wall or wanted to talk about it.

        A longtime Cubs fan himself, Mascari hopes the team likes the idea,
        if for no other reason it might prompt fans to head to his wall and
        not Wrigley with dead fans' ashes.

        But since there won't be a Cubs logo on the wall and the company
        that makes the urns is already licensed to do so by Major League
        Baseball, he doesn't think the Cubs can stop the wall if they wanted
        to.

        One man who is talking about it is Philip Roux, the superintendent
        at the cemetery.

        "I think this is great, the best publicity a cemetery could have,"
        said Roux.

        For one thing, he said it would remind people that the cemetery
        perhaps best known for being the final resting place for Anton
        Cermak, the Chicago mayor who was assassinated by a man aiming for
        President Franklin D. Roosevelt, is still open.

        "We have space available," Roux said.

        The big test will, of course, be convincing Cubs fans their remains
        belong in the friendly confines of Bohemian National Cemetery.

        Out at Wrigley, where the Cubs were playing this week, fans' opinions
        varied. Some said they hated the idea. Others said they liked it
        but wouldn't want their remains to be alone and they just couldn't
        imagine their family members joining them.

        Steve Kopetsky, a 53-year-old fan who lives in Corte Madera, Calif.,
        said he didn't have a problem with spending the money to reserve a
        spot on the wall as much as he did if word got out that he'd done
        so.

        "My wife would kill me," he said.

        But Don Rood, a 31-year-old Chicagoan who wore his "Die-Hard Cub
        Fan" shirt to the game, said it makes perfect sense.

        "What else are you going to do, lay in a box next to loved ones?"
        he asked. "It would symbolize what your passion is, what you enjoyed
        about your life."

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2008
          > Did you get to Forest Hill? It's beautiful. Hope you have a great trip!

          I had a wonderful time last weekend, but I didn't make it as far north as Madison. I
          was photographing my friends' wedding in a semi-official capacity, and they kept me
          plenty busy before and after.

          I explored a total of 13 graveyards on the way there and back; these included the
          graves of an United States Senator who committed suicide while in the Senate (he
          wasn't happy about losing reelection), and of the renowned social worker Jane Addams.
          Both of these were in the Rockford area. The other sites I visited were random finds.

          --
          hucke@... - http://www.graveyards.com