Lincolin Park's Past

  • hell7695
    Message 1 of 6 , May 21, 2008
      Published today in the CHICAGO TRIBUNE...thought it was FUN....

      Exhuming Lincoln Park's graveyard past
      Northwestern lecturer to explain site's cemetery history on signs,
      Web site
      By Robert Mitchum | Tribune reporter
      May 21, 2008

      Every spring Lincoln Park becomes an energetic hub of activity on
      Chicago's North Side, swarmed daily by joggers, sunbathers, baseball
      players and museum-goers.

      But before the park's creation in 1865, the land on which it's
      situated was not a centerpiece of the city's life, but a resting
      place for the city's dead: the location of the Chicago City Cemetery.

      For the last fifteen months, Northwestern University senior lecturer
      Pamela Bannos has worked to exhume that lost history, calculating
      that more than 35,000 people were once buried in the 57 acres that
      now encompass the park's southern portion.

      According to her research, as many as 12,000 bodies may still be
      there.

      "This is an important part of Chicago's history that I think has not
      only been forgotten, it was never even known," Bannos said
      Tuesday. "There's a huge tomb there, and people notice it or don't
      notice it. But when they say the park was a cemetery, it becomes the
      end of the subject, when, no, that's the beginning of the subject."

      On Wednesday, Bannos will place six historical markers at significant
      sites around the park, like the Couch Tomb, a huge mausoleum too
      expensive for the city to relocate, and Potter's Field, the burial
      ground for the city's poor that now lies beneath the baseball fields
      along LaSalle Drive.

      The markers launch the final phase of Bannos' project, "Hidden
      Truths: The Chicago City Cemetery and Lincoln Park. Her research
      involved consulting city records once thought to be lost in the Great
      Chicago Fire, searching Internet newspaper archives and conducting
      interviews with archeologists and historians.

      Bannos has also launched a Web site, hiddentruths.northwestern.edu,
      with document scans, audio interviews and a podcast tour for park
      visitors.

      Bannos, a photographer who teaches art theory and practice at
      Northwestern, said that much of her own artwork is about "shifting
      people's gaze" to see familiar subjects in a new light. Her interest
      in Lincoln Park's previous tenants began with the Couch Tomb, which
      has stood near the southwest corner of the park since 1858. Bannos
      discovered that the tomb is likely the oldest structure still
      standing in the area hit by the Great Chicago Fire.

      Built for real estate tycoon Ira Couch, the 112-square-foot tomb was
      meant to hold 11 bodies. But in her search of the Chicago Tribune's
      online historical archive, Bannos found that reports of how many
      bodies are in the tomb have varied from 3 to 13.

      "There have always been people asking 'Why is that thing there?'
      and 'Who is this guy?,' and the way the Tribune would tell the story
      was funny, the story would change," she said. "I wanted to show these
      changing stories that ended up where we are today where we don't know
      much about any of it."

      The newspaper clips and documents also reveal the twisted origins of
      the park, complete with legal wrangling between the city and
      residents, broken promises and attempts to cover up – literally, with
      foliage – unseemly reminders of the park's prior use. Those acts
      might seem familiar to observers of recent battles over use of city
      parks, including the latest clash over the Latin School's proposed
      soccer field for Lincoln Park.

      "The soccer field is just a blip in the park's history," Bannos
      said. "It's one more story in the park's history of people fighting
      over the land, because some guy didn't file his paperwork on time."
    • larry friedman
      Message 2 of 6 , May 22, 2008
        I'M GLAD THEY'RE RECOGNIZING THE AREAS PAST
        HISTORY,BUT IT SEEMS MUCH ADO ABOUT STUFF WE'VE KNOWN
        FOR YEARS.ARE THEY GOING TO BRING UP THE POSSIBLITY OF
        SOME ONES ANCESTER BEING BURIED UNDER THE 290
        EXPRESSWAY INBETWEEN CONCORDIA AND WUNDERS CEMETARY IN
        RIVER GROVE

      • Foxie Hagerty
        Message 3 of 6 , May 22, 2008
          Hey is this online or can I get a copy of the original piece.
          Thanks. the Channing Cemetery is the same way as this they built a school over it.
          Foxie
          Foxie Hagerty
          1635 Sherwood Road
          Dahinda, IL 61428
          Phone: 309-337-5530
          Illinois Saving Graves Mailing list
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ilsavinggraves/

        • Donnabeanc55@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , May 23, 2008
            I found this on google by entering Pamela bannos and lincoln park cemetery. This is a must read for chicago history lovers. Lots of information under sub-categories on the pages. Enjoy. I copied it and am going to Chicago and search it out....
            From: Foxie Hagerty <toy_fox@...>

            Message 5 of 6 , May 23, 2008
              Good morning it is amust read for anyone.
              I did even better than that.
              go to this link and you can read much more and also see many photos and more history on Chicago. Pamela even told me I can link to her pages which I'm working on right now on my Illinois Saving Graves Web site. there will be a permanent link to her page on the Cook Co., IL Saving Graves Web page. She has does tremedous work and I'm just sorry I missed the placing of her plaques in the local area.

              The link above will take you to her online site. all the photographs are copy righted by Pamela Bannos

              From: Foxie Hagerty <toy_fox@yahoo. com>